? ??????????????Glacier Lake? ????? ?? ???Rating: 4.0 (1 Rating)??1162 Grabs Today. 2040 Total Grabs. ????
??Preview?? | ??Get the Code?? ?? ????????????????????? ??????Halloween Jack? ????? ?? ???Rating: 4.0 (3 Ratings)??297 Grabs Today. 1761 Total Grabs. ??????Preview?? | ??Get the Co BLOGGER TEMPLATES - TWITTER BACKGROUNDS ?

Thursday, January 3, 2008

"When I Grow Up, I Want to be Just Like...!"


I'm sure that every region has it's sports that tend to be more popular than others. Here in the deep south, Football takes number 1 priority. And we're talking little league through college. I think the only reason why pro isn't as much of a big deal is because there aren't any super significant teams that have been successful for years and years. But the SEC vs. ACC is no laughing matter! One year in college, an Auburn football game and Halloween actually fell on the same night. Guess what.... Halloween was moved!!! I get the logistics of it. I mean a Saturday in Auburn, Alabama you just DON'T drive anywhere. Also, you can't really move the game. However, it was just funny how they approached it. Like, NOTHING will take place during Game Day!


Though I love the spirit of it as well! You can't be an Auburn Tiger without coming away with school spirit! Sports in the south can be a little ridiculous if you ask me.


Here in the metro-Atlanta area, Little League Baseball is another HUGE sport for kids! We're talking parents camping out to get their kids on certain teams. When I was a fourth grade teacher, I would get notes from parents informing me that Baseball was back in session so if I could please excuse "So and So" from homework for AWHILE!! I was like, WHAT! They supposedly don't have time for homework because they're at practice or playing games until like 10pm. These are 8 and 9 year olds!! :)


Now don't get me wrong. As an active person who grew up in sports, I am a HUGE supporter. I will encourage both of my children to participate in sports all throughout their lives. Here's where I hope to differ from some of the Insane parents I see. (Like the one that was giving their 3 year-old son Golf Lessons on the put-put course thinking he was going to be the next Tiger Woods rather than just letting him get a feel for it and have fun by hitting the ball around!)


I think people learn more by example than by being pushed into something. One of my favorite memories of this past year is Cooper propping his bike up against our coffee table so that he could "ride it like mommy" while I was on my trainer! He was getting ready for his "race" as well. So we signed him up for the ING Tot-Trot, and he "WON!" He was so excited. I never said anything to him before that about running or biking or anything. He just saw me doing it, thought it looked like fun and wanted to do it too.


I've been asked if I want them to grow up and be runners or triathletes, and the answer to that is not necessarily. I get that not all people are athletic by nature. Some people gear more towards academics or creative interests. All of which are fine as well. I do however want them to find something aerobic in nature that they ENJOY! I don't care if they prefer golf, tennis, running, hiking, or whatever. I just want to instill in them an interest in doing something fun and active and understanding the importance to your health for exercise.


My plan is to sign them up for any and everything that they strike an interest in without things becoming too much of course :) and encouraging them to try lots of different things. I HATE that I didn't discover running until college was almost over. In the high school I went to, girls either cheered, played softball or basketball. That was it!! So I just hope that somewhere along the way they discover a passion of their own and spend the rest of their lives enjoying it just as I have!!
Until Next Time...
K :)

4 comments:

Wes said...

Are you a Tiger Alum? Very cool if so, OK if not :-) I gradiated from South Alabama, but Auburn was my adopted football team. I think USA is getting their football team back after like 35 years next year.

As a full time soccer mom and referee, I see all extremes of sports parenting! I encourage my kids to run and tri, but I have yet to "make" them do anything.

With a little encouragement, they'll find their own path through life... and be better off for it :-)

Pedergraham said...

Great post. Wow about those fourth grade parents and little league!!! I like the photo, too. Is your daughter dressed up like a princess for the "workout"? (Mine doesn't like to leave the house without her purse...)

BreeWee said...

I LOVE that photo... that is so cute...! Your photos make me get so excited for Kainoa to grow-since your children are just a bit older! I must agree 100%, they sure do learn and want to do from watching! Kainoa always tries to workout like mommy and I never try to get him to do it... Good post :)

Mel said...

You just motivated me to finally get my butt in gear and open my Christmas present (the trainer) there it sits still in the box :) I am pretty anal (neat freak) with having anything crazy like a BIKE sitting in my living room, but I know I NEED to do it,...if I want to train and watch my 4 kids...the photo actually looks fun...I can sit there and watch Sponge Bob too...BONUS!!!!

Mel :)