? ??????????????Glacier Lake? ????? ?? ???Rating: 4.0 (1 Rating)??1162 Grabs Today. 2040 Total Grabs. ????
??Preview?? | ??Get the Code?? ?? ????????????????????? ??????Halloween Jack? ????? ?? ???Rating: 4.0 (3 Ratings)??297 Grabs Today. 1761 Total Grabs. ??????Preview?? | ??Get the Co BLOGGER TEMPLATES - TWITTER BACKGROUNDS ?

Tuesday, January 29, 2008

High Maintenance

When I was with my niece this weekend she made a comment about me being High Maintenance!




I was like... WHAT??? Give me ONE example, and she couldn't name one! She said she couldn't describe it, I just was.



Well, I wasn't pissed at her or anything, but it did make me think. So this morning I asked Adam if he thought I was High Maintenance. Without as much as a second to think he quickly responded in a laughing tone... YES!



Again, give me an example... He said that I require time. Time from him to help me in maintaining the busy life I lead.



Now I don't know what you would describe as high maintenance, but when I think of the word I think of Gabrielle from Desperate Housewives. She's demanding and self-centered. She has high expectations and wants those expectations to be met by others.



Now don't get me wrong, I have high expectations myself. Both of myself and of others. By others I mean that I expect the people that I invest myself in with a relationship to be apart of that relationship as well. I had a friend back in college that apparently had some issues of her own. After giving and giving, you finally just get to a point that there's nothing left to give without receiving something in return. So that is what I mean by expectations of others.



As far as having my own life expectations met, I feel that I do that pretty much on my own. I knew it wouldn't be easy training for an Ironman with two toddlers and a husband that has a demanding job while trying to work from home as well. I also didn't expect for my entire family's lives to be totally disregarded while I went out and did my thing. Now, I realize that there were times when the schedule was a little tough, but I ALWAYS tried to balance it out in the end! :)



So as far as I'm concerned, I'm the type of person that if I want something... I find a way to make it happen. I would describe it as RESOURCEFUL! :)



(Now Gracie should be in the dictionary next to High Maintenance! She wants what she demands and expects it IMMEDIATELY! Even if she doesn't even know what she really wants, you better get it for her SUPER FAST! This is her first "race". I carried her the whole way! :)

Is that bad??? Is that what would be considered High Maintenance??

Yes...I again expect a lot from my husband. He helps clean the house, take care of the kids, and does many things that other husbands may not. And though I 100% appreciate everything he does and has done for me, I don't think asking him or others to help me out so that I can lead a life of my own isn't being High Maintenance. Especially when its important to me to give as much as I receive.


So if you think of a person that is low maintenance, what type of a person is that? I mean is the fact that I am a mother with the primary responsibility being to take care of my children AND I also involve myself in my own personal activities what puts me in this High Maintenance category?


A lot of the husbands in my neighborhood play golf a lot. 18 holes of golf takes anywhere from 4-6 hours. Do that a couple of times a week, and that's about my training schedule. However, rarely do you hear of a man who works a full-time job and plays golf after work once a week and once on the weekend described as being high maintenance as his wife stays home with the children 24 hours a day!!


Sorry... I don't mean to come across as angry. I'm honestly not. I've struggled with it for awhile now, because at least around here, what I do is out of the ordinary. I'm the "different" mom with her triathlon. Maybe it's because I'm not a professional that makes it more ridiculous to others? Maybe it's because the majority of people out there have no idea why someone would WANT to swim 2.4miles, bike 112, and run 26.2 after they've trained endless hours for almost a year for that event??


I'm not really sure. One thing I know is that I am a MUCH better mother BECAUSE I have the opportunity to have my "thing"! Not to mention the fact that what the outside world doesn't see is the sacrifices I'm willing to make to achieve my goals, i.e. get up at 5am to workout, do most of my training while the kids are in school, etc.


So, if being that "kind" of person makes me High Maintenance, well then I guess I'm ok with that! Here's to enjoying my children 100% while they grow up, but not being completely lost 20 years from now when I still have a life beyond my children! :)


Until Next Time...
K :)



Disclaimer: I swear this message was NOT meant to be angry or in anyway offensive :) I just wanted to be sure as you read the post you see the little smile on my face and don't read it with a negative tone, because that was not my intent. If need be... Please re-read appropriately! :)

8 comments:

Wes said...

I'm the type of person that if I want something... I find a way to make it happen.

Amen to that sister!

I view high maintenance as someone who requires a lot of other people's time to stay on an even keel, physically, emotionally, and spirtually. Beyond a doubt, triathlon makes us a better person. It's up to us to make sure that effort is balanced.

Brooke Myers said...

Hey will you try to remind Bree that it's okay for her to ask for help, especially when I offer it. (like watching Kainoa for her).

...I think a lot of us think this way about always offering and when is it ever our turn not too, especially if you are a giving person. Doesn't sound like high maintenance to me though.

kerri said...

Ok. I just asked my husband if I was high maintenance after reading your blog. His immediate reply...YES! WHY? I asked. Because you are always doing something...running racing, biking for hours,contending with injuries, worried about something, need equipment, etc Well...perhaps we are high maintenance (a little). It seems as though it's the time that is so precious. However, we are also sharing and giving back to the sport that has taught us so much...whether it's through PT,coaching, or sharing our experiences with our kids. It is a balance. High maintenance or not we are teaching life lessons.

adam mills said...

The fact that you and I are still talking about this proves that you are high maintenance ;-). You know I'm giving you a hard time. By default, though, all women are high maintenance when compared to men. You are an emotional creature. I have two emotions (three, if "mmmm, bbq" is an emotion). Comparatively, that makes you higher maintenance. I know that was a broad generality, and all generalities (including this one) are false.

You are approaching this the wrong way. You are acting like "high maintenance" is always an insult. A ferrari is high maintenance. A Corolla is not. Which would you rather have? High Maintenance or not, I'm quite happy with my little triathlete "ferrari"....

Pedergraham said...

Right ON!!!!! Thank you for writing this. I hear you 100%. (And loved the picture of Gracie "racing"!)

BreeWee said...

LOVE it! I agree, high maintenance is different than having high set goals and priorities!
Now, Gracie, that is another story... maybe she gets it from her dad... is he high maintenance :)??

Mel said...

WHAT really defines "HIGH MAINTENANCE" I think of PARIS HILTON as really "HIGH MAINTENANCE" and I do NOT see you as Paris Hilton..THANK GOD :) I think you are just fine the way you are :) PLUS, look you survived your $$$ allowance for the month...so YOU ARE NOT HIGH MAINTENANCE :)

kerrie said...

i don't think you are high maintenance - just very focused on your goals!! i think we all have our talents - embrace them :)