? ??????????????Glacier Lake? ????? ?? ???Rating: 4.0 (1 Rating)??1162 Grabs Today. 2040 Total Grabs. ????
??Preview?? | ??Get the Code?? ?? ????????????????????? ??????Halloween Jack? ????? ?? ???Rating: 4.0 (3 Ratings)??297 Grabs Today. 1761 Total Grabs. ??????Preview?? | ??Get the Co BLOGGER TEMPLATES - TWITTER BACKGROUNDS ?

Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Holding Steady and Pushing Your Max!


Well, I finally had my VO2 max test today. We weren't 100% sure that I was 100% clear, but the way things are going lately, I wanted to get it done at the best time possible which seemed to be now before any other sickness creeps into our house!


The good news is that in comparison to my results from last year, despite a lot of Ironman base training last year, I didn't lose my VO2 max capacity. Considering I'm focusing more on the shorter distances this year (IM FL 70.3) I took that to be good news.


I think all of that metabolic info is so cool too!! I love it because you KNOW what your numbers are. There's no take your age and subtract that average. Because at least for me, there's nothing average about me, and I don't mean that in a positive way :)


The people close to me know that I'm one of those people that just weird stuff happens to, i.e. leaving a coffee shop last winter bent over to pick up something off of the floor, bumped my face on a chair, ended up with a black eye, turns out I broke my FACE!! The bone in your eye socket. I cracked it. I mean who breaks their FACE!! I do! :)


So I tend to not fit into the averages, and I'm such the type of person that if I'm going to do something I want to do it right... hence the testing to be sure I'm on track!


What's my focus this year... SPEED!!


I know... you're probably like who isn't focused on that. But for me, it's almost like a first for me.


From the moment my hefty rear stepped onto the treadmill it was always about distance. Can I walk for 45 min, can I run 30 min without stopping, Can I run 6 miles, Can I run 6 miles with hills, Can I run a half-marathon, etc., etc. all the way up to Can I complete an Ironman? Yes, I did focus on trying to do it in a decent time last year. But even my coach wouldn't let me put a time stamp on anything because when it's a first, it's all about just achieving the distance.


So now... I'm confident in the distance. I'm ready to go FAST!!


My numbers indicate that I have the "potential". So I ask him, ok so NOW what's the deal. I can handle pushing it hard from a cardio/metabolic perspective, I've been running for almost 10 years, what do I need to do to actually ACHIEVE it?????


Well, as they say.... Practice makes perfect.. So I'm going to talk with Coach today and hopefully get the clearance for the time stamps I think I'm ready for! :) It should be good because she's already started me on pace training. According to the guy who did my test today, it's like I have to redefine my pace to my body now. Reset it if you will, so I can let my body realize that I'm capable of moving faster than it THINKS I can!! :)


We'll see how that goes! :)


Until next time...

K :)

6 comments:

Wes said...

You broke your face? Ewwww :-)

I definitely felt like I've lost some endurance when I got back in the pool, but my breathing was as strong as ever. I haven't done a V02 max test. I'd be interested in knowing where you got yours done.

Did you do the bike and the run?

I so hear ya on the speed thing. I am NOT focused on speed this year. For me, its about the distance, and I just got to remember that after the race starts!

Kellye Mills said...

Tony Myers did my test from Athletic Training Services. I have so far only done the bike. I would like to do the run, but we'll have to see how my cash flow goes within the next several weeks! :)

Mel said...

I really found this posting being some good information for me....as I am the other direction...where I have the speed and not the distance/endurance...so my workouts always consist on sprint.. walk... sprint Until NOW..I am running at a slower pace and able to go the distance longer..so with Bree's post about the engine...I am getting it..work on the distance/endurance then add the speed...SO really good post...you have conquered the distance now working on the speed...I GET IT NOW :)

Pedergraham said...

OK--I know nothing about this kind of testing and you've inspired me to google it and learn the basics, at the very least!

When you are writing that you are racing in briefs, all I can picture in my mind is a pair of tightie whities (men's) underpants. I think I need a few more hours of sleep!!!!

Ryan said...

What! I read your whole post twice thinking I missed it. Yes, I did laugh both times I read you broke your face. (evil laugh mmuuhahahaha) Is this like a Lance Armstrong secret that you don't want people to know your max HR, LT, VO2 max etc. I go in July over a weekend for both run and bike.

BreeWee said...

Truly a good post kellye! Now is the time... I always think the best time to do anything in life is the first time you think about actually doing it. I will be eager to read your posts about pushing yourself to new speeds and making your body take on a faster pace! We are doing that very thing with me too this year! We discovered that I might be able to move my base pace nearly 15 seconds per mile faster than previous. In the long run that adds up. Cheers to you and I pushing the limits and trying to GO faster-longer! Good luck... keep posting as I am excited to read about it all!!