? ??????????????Glacier Lake? ????? ?? ???Rating: 4.0 (1 Rating)??1162 Grabs Today. 2040 Total Grabs. ????
??Preview?? | ??Get the Code?? ?? ????????????????????? ??????Halloween Jack? ????? ?? ???Rating: 4.0 (3 Ratings)??297 Grabs Today. 1761 Total Grabs. ??????Preview?? | ??Get the Co BLOGGER TEMPLATES - TWITTER BACKGROUNDS ?

Monday, January 7, 2008

Challenge #2: NOT Breaking the Bank!


I really had no intention of challenging myself this year. They just keep coming up! :)


So Adam and I, and what I think is probably like TONS of other people in this world, have made one of our 2008 goals to SAVE MONEY!! Yes... He just turned 31, I will be 30 this year, and we hope that we've entered that wiser stage in our lives where we realize we're getting OLD and need to think more about the future and less about acquiring LCD T.V.s, BMW's and Bigger houses :)


This is going to be the year that our Savings Account will actually get BIGGER!! :)


We started thinking about this a few months back and started going through our expenses. Especially being a triathlete, it makes for quite an expensive habit!! What we realized... We spend SOOOO much wasteful money!! On seriously just CRAP!


We've never had his/her's money like some couples do. I think everyone has their own process and whatever works for you is fine. Adam and I have been together since I was 15, so everything has always just kind of been OURS. However, we decided a few months back to set aside a certain amount of cash each month for each of us to spend on that "junk" stuff (fast food, BODC'S, etc.) Well it didn't really work out entirely because I had a bad habit of once I ran out of money towards the end of the month, I would just start using the check card. A little beside the point :)


So this month we agreed... STICKING TO IT! Once you run out, your out!!


Well, January 1 I had $300 cash. Some of you may think that's not a lot. I felt LOADED :) Here's the problem...Jan 7th: $12!!!


I know... It all happened really FAST!! Here's the breakdown:


Jan 1: $300

Jan 2: $280 - $20 cash towards lunch for me and the kids, a $4 aquatic charge and some other odds and ends

Jan 4: I head to Lenox because I got a $150 Gift Card to Anthropology for Christmas. Not an everyday thing for me, so I looked at EVERY piece of clothing they had :) I settled on a skirt and a sweater, $200 total - $150 GC, so I was going to put $50 of my money towards it.


CRAP: Go to pay, GC NOT $150, it's $125 + tax= $230, so there goes $80 of my money


Jan 5: $200


Considering that the majority of my tri expenses come out of the monthly family budget (coaching, shoes, chiropractic, nutrition, etc.) I agreed to pay for my massage out of my money.

I have a massage appointment on Jan. 22nd= $70


So now I'm down to $130


I also have a VO2 Max test I am going to have done this month. It's not really reg. tri stuff so I had just always planned on paying for it Cost=$125


So that left me with $5!!!


Adam laughed and said there's no way! My niece Lauren said I was crazy, I'd never make it!


Well... I had a TON of pennies that I'd been meaning to roll forever, that bumped me to $12!!


That is where I'm at! $12


It's funny because I know that I could get a little more money if I really NEED it. Adam even offered to give me some of his. But the thing is that I kind of WANT to do this! I'm convinced that I want to keep that sweater more than I want to have $80 to spend on useless stuff. I'm an extremely competitive person, and I want to prove to myself that I can do it. I mean I'm not going to starve! This past Saturday, I had a long workout day and I actually PACKED my lunch before leaving the house :) How funny is that!! I haven't done that since I was working full-time!


So... in the past I've been labeled spoiled by my brothers and sisters who came before me and had to buy their own cars, from Adam because he's the one that does the spoiling, and from other's probably too. I have always maintained that I am NOT because I don't require those things as part of my relationships nor do I act like my life will end without them.


I therefore dedicate this challenge to myself to PROVE once and for all that I can go an entire 23 days with $12 to spend!!


I'll keep you updated as I go. Thanks!


Until next time...

K :)


2 comments:

Wes said...

hee, hee. 12 dollars for 23 days. Oh the humanity!! Where are you getting your VO2 test taken at? I just don't walk around with ANY money in my pocket. If I have an emergency or need to buy lunch, then I use the check card. That of course doesn't mean I've saved any money either :-) This IS a new year, right??

Mel said...

Your funny...well at least you got the tri stuff out of the way :) Just keep thinking $12 is a lot of money! You are definitely doing better than what I would be doing at that point...Heck I go to Target like 3xweek and spend easily $200.00 each time :) My husband and I always say we are going to save $$$$ but it never happens for us, so good luck and keep us up to date if you MADE IT!!