? ??????????????Glacier Lake? ????? ?? ???Rating: 4.0 (1 Rating)??1162 Grabs Today. 2040 Total Grabs. ????
??Preview?? | ??Get the Code?? ?? ????????????????????? ??????Halloween Jack? ????? ?? ???Rating: 4.0 (3 Ratings)??297 Grabs Today. 1761 Total Grabs. ??????Preview?? | ??Get the Co BLOGGER TEMPLATES - TWITTER BACKGROUNDS ?

Saturday, February 16, 2008

The Tundra Time Trial


Well... the 2008 Race season has begun!



I had my first Race this past Saturday for 2008 and it was my VERY 1ST cycling race ever.


I was very excited about it because first of all as I just said it was my first cycling time trial and secondly because of the three sports of triathlon, cycling tends to be the one that I'm halfway decent at, so I wanted to see what I could do!


The Tundra Time Trial is a 9.5 mile out and back course on the Silver Comet. The Silver Comet is a cycling course that goes from Atlanta to Birmingham, and is a really cool place for locals (Despite a few unfortunate situations due to some sick people). I mean it's not just for cycling. People run, in-line skate, and do all sorts of exercise type activities on it! It is a narrow trail that appears to be flat but isn't entirely. But it's a great place to get out and do some speed work on the bike since you can just get out there and GO!!


Fortunately for us, the weather was actually unusual for the Tundra this year as it was actually pretty nice! Normally, it's raining and freezing and miserable. I went out early, so it was still a little chilly outside, but overall you couldn't have asked for a better day!


I read somewhere Michelle Jones say that you want to use every race as a learning experience. Well I can say I learned A LOT from this time trial!!


I did ok. I finished 5th in the Women's Cat IV and 7th overall with a finishing time of 26:17. However, as I sat there and watched as the other people I know finished I noticed something. Everyone was talking about how painful that was and how hard they pushed it, and though I was huffing and puffing when I crossed that finish line, I never felt like I was suffering, and I should have! Quite honestly, if you would have told me that I had to do another 5 miles, I could have done it and maintained the same pace, and as most of you probably know... it's not supposed to work that way!


Pacing is an issue for me. It's partly because I've spent the past almost 2 years constantly doing different races and different distances. So it seems every race is a First for me! :)


So it's constantly this... well it was your first and you didn't know how hard to push it. But I'm tired of that excuse!! Thanks to all for saying those encouraging things to me, but... I can't believe I'm about to say this...


I'm Ready to Suffer!!!


As Adam put it to me when I was expressing my disappointment with myself for not going out there and doing what needed to be done, he said, "Kellye, you've never finished a race where you had nothing left to give once you got to that finish line. You've got to figure out how to go out there and leave it all out on the course!" And he's exactly right!!


I said at the beginning of this year that the one thing I didn't do enough of last year was PUKE!! I know that may sound crazy, but in all seriousness... I have no idea what my PUKE pace is!! I've never pushed myself out there that hard.


So this year I'm done with doing OK. I want to go out there and learn to give it everything I've got! And if I bonk or don't finish with the time or place I'd hoped for, I at least want to be able to say that I could NOT have done any better!!


Here's to PUKING!!

K :)

9 comments:

Mel said...

Your so funny ;) Sounds like you still did pretty well, even if you slacked of not going into your hurt mode :) I am the same way....I get done with a race and am skipping around, not tired...A pro friend of mine said...."that means you did not push yourself" and after I thought about it, I really didn't and then kick myself thinking/wondering how well I would have really done..if I would have put myself in that hurt zone!!! So here's to us to PUKE and hit our HURT zone....and if we bonk "oh well" at least we know we reached the Hurt zone and tried to improve our racing skills :)
Still, you did GREAT Kellye!!!!

Wes said...

I agree with Mel, you did a fantastic job! Can't you use your HR for that? I mean 9.5 mile bike race would probably be at LT pace the entire way!?!? Couldn't really go much harder than that? Oh well, just a thought!

Congrats again on a great finish!!

kerrie said...

great job and very brave of you to do something new! puking is highly overrated but it is a good feeling to finish and know you have nothing left..you'll get there:)

Beth said...

I have no doubt you'll figure out how to push so hard you puke!! :) Then you'll be even MORE pleased with your awesome results! Great job in the TT!

Brooke Myers said...

Yahooooyyie!!
Great time trial...

Glad you had fun and as far as the puking goes, just drink water afterwards, spit it out, and pretend that was the guts from the inside...

anyways nice job!!! Are you ready for #2

BreeWee said...

Kel! Way to go, I agree with you, it is challenging to know your pace when you do all sorts of distances and races... BUT I also agree with you that you gotta find it, even if it is the hard way! Be brave and make it hurt...Nobody is gonna laugh at the girl who tried so hard, you train hard so you deserve to race hard! Good luck this season taking it to the next level & you still had a good race & you learned something :)

Marit C-L said...

Here's to tossing our cookies! Playing around with race pace is a constant learning experience for athletes of ALL abilities - good for you!!! Its not easy - but you're doing great. When I race, I'll sometimes think to myself that I would rather blow up and go down trying, than never have tried at all. There have been a few times where it's been ugly... but I've learned about myself in the process. I never want to look back and wonder "what if...." So yeah - here's to a good puke-fest... or at least just FEELING like we need tho throw up! :) NICE JOB - you did awesome!!

Ryan said...

I agree with Bree and Marit. I would rather risk blowing up (which unfortunately has happened. . . . a lot) than finish knowing that I could have gone harder.

I hate what ifs.

It should hurt at the finish line!

Anonymous said...

Great job girl! Way to go!

Here's to the bonk, the puke, the hurt box, and/or the wizard..next time I have a feeling you will experience them all! HA!