? ??????????????Glacier Lake? ????? ?? ???Rating: 4.0 (1 Rating)??1162 Grabs Today. 2040 Total Grabs. ????
??Preview?? | ??Get the Code?? ?? ????????????????????? ??????Halloween Jack? ????? ?? ???Rating: 4.0 (3 Ratings)??297 Grabs Today. 1761 Total Grabs. ??????Preview?? | ??Get the Co BLOGGER TEMPLATES - TWITTER BACKGROUNDS ?

Tuesday, February 12, 2008

A Blast From the Past and a Look into the Future!

Yesterday I had one of those seeing myself in my daughter moments! Gracie participated in her very first ballet class!

We first went out to get her some ballet slippers. There is this little dance shop in downtown Woodstock that had everything a dancer would need. I walked in and was instantly carried back to memories of my many years of dancing.
My mother started me in ballet classes at the age of 3, and I continued dancing until the age of 15 when I decided I needed to dedicate my time to cheerleading and gymnastics! :)


I LOVED it though! It's so disciplined and yet soothing all at the same time. My favorite of course was pointe. The shoe is boxed at the toe, so it's not as if there is no support there. However, it is very challenging and HIGHLY competitive. Trying out for Jr. and Sr. companies and to get into camps can be extremely nerve racking, like any sort of competition.

These are pictures of me at my first ballet recital! I was the one squatting in this one. I was 3 at the time! Who knows if one of us was doing the wrong thing! :)


I'm the one right in the middle up front looking prissy!

The one thing about ballet is that unfortunately, it really isn't something that can necessarily just be learned. It does require a certain type of body. Height won't necessarily make or break you, BUT it helps to be taller. The movements are all about length and lines and the shorter you are, the less length you have! :) The one thing it DOES require... you have to be thin. I mean obviously not at Gracie's level or even up through some of high school. But if you want to move forward with it, you better be tiny. And honestly, maybe I'm biased, but I think ballerinas have some of the most beautiful bodies. They're strong and muscular, but yet so feminine. It's actually a shame that it can produce a lot of eating disordered women competing over lead roles.

And you know what's funny... I would actually be spending MORE time dancing as a professional dancer than I would as a professional triathlete. Those girls dance 8-10 hours a day everyday. Broken toes and all!! Maybe one of the reasons I decided NOT to pursue it as a career! :) That and you have no life and you're broke as can be!

So anyways, Gracie LOVED her class as well! She walked right in and was comfortable the entire time! It helped that she thought she looked BEAUTIFUL, which she did :), and I watched her almost the entire time and she danced and sang and had a blast!

That is of course my intent with this as well. I'm not one of those parents that will push her to become a prima-ballerina because I missed my shot! :)

She loves to dance and prance around the house, and so I figured she was ready to take her skills to the stage! :)

As far as the future...

Gracie is definitely my girlie-girl! I'm not 100%. I mean can you be a triathlete and be all girlie too?? But... as my sister would describe me... I'm Bubbly! SO... I guess Gracie and I are a good fit!

Also about the future... the Diet Coke cut back is going ok. Might be better if I went cold turkey, but still working on the moderation thing. I've noticed that it's my rest days that I want/have time to drink more than one, so we'll work on that for next Monday!

And as far as my treats go... well it's been 8 1/2 days, with 1 1/2 to go!! No cookies, no candy (I mean not as much as one M & M), no cake, no muffins, donuts, NADA!! Just so happens that my 10 days is over just in time for Valentine's Day. I plan on celebrating with my favorite candy ever... a big Reese's Peanut Butter Cup Heart with Double the Peanut Butter! 300 cal. I'll savor every moment and then hopefully will get my fill for at least a week or so!

Until next time... Keep cherishing your moments!
K :)

12 comments:

Ryan said...

I'm with you about starving on your day off. It is a constant battle, and if I do eat too much I feel all bloated and fat. I almost feel like asking, "do these jeans make my ass look fat?" I can't take another day of tapering, I MUST RUN!

Wes said...

Brings back memories of my daughter taking dance. She quit when she started playing soccer on State champion teams :-)

What? With a suga daddy like Adam, you couldn't of been a prima ballerina? LOL! I agree with you 100% though, ballerinas are the epitome of grace and athleticism.

Hang tough on the diet coke! I am still beer free since we started this gig, despite handing out in the restaurant a couple of times where cheating is not only acceptable, but encouraged!

Anonymous said...

Love the pics! This brings back memories of my daughter...who soon quit and too up Teakwando! I think she just wanted to learn how to kick both of her brothers butts!

Good job with your diet coke and sweets battle! We are all in the same boat!

Brooke Myers said...

I dedicated my life to gymnastics, got to high school and began dancing. I understand the discipline and the soothing you mention.
I love when great moments take us back into the land of our own memories.....these pictures remind me of some of my own...

And nice work without the temptations from the diet coke can and the sweet tooth fairy.. Only 1 more day, 1 more day...

Mel said...

Cute photo's.....Good luck with the ballet...my daughter took it and it bored the heck out of me...(I think it was because it was too slow motioned) even though she was stinkin cute with the tutu on :) I enjoyed the tap dancing more and LOVE hip hop, but she was too young at the time to take it!!!
Hang in there with the DT.C...I can't quit my coffee completely either, but have cut back....so thanks to you for the motivation :)

Pedergraham said...

I am sure that I am going to DREAM about that heart-shaped Reese's tonight.

There is not much cuter in this world than a preschooler dressed for ballet!!!! I never did any dance/gymnastics as a child and I wonder if that is why it always takes me three sessions to "get" any new exercises in PT... Lelia started last summer and she loves dance (or maybe she loves the outfits---I'm not sure yet).

Way to go skipping sweets!!!

BreeWee said...

oh I can hardly wait till Kainoa finds his passions in life! Those are some awesome photos of "back in the day". Haha! Gracie is so cute, my goodness I want to pinch her cheeks!
And I never was a serious ballet chick but I know... triathlon seems wussy when those gals (and I know a few) that train almost 50 hours a week with all sorts of broken-ness!
hmmm, maybe we should start dancing!

kerrie said...

ummm, what is the reeses heart doing out of the package?? it looks like a little bit may be missing?!?!
seriously, good on you for sticking with your no junk plan!
p.s. your daughter is a doll

Jen in Budapest said...

I like that! Keep cherishing your moments. Good stuff.

My sister did ballet and I did gymnastics for a brief stint of kid life. Now, my sisters little girl is taking "hip-hop" dance. Isn't that funny?

You are so amazing!! My hero, Kellye. I want to do that when I grow up -- eat no sweets for 10 days. Awesome. Go girl!! You're on the last of your challenge.

kerri said...

Hey Kellye,

Oh, those pictures are so cute. My daughter is 8 and looking back at when she was that young kind of makes me sad. It goes by so quickly. So, yes, cherish the moments. You only have one more day left until the little splurge..you can do it.

Anonymous said...

Oh, Gracie is soo cute! I see my little Morgan (who just turned 6) in the same OUTFIT and shoes...she has a little TUTU that I had to find?!....she takes ballet every Thursday and it melts my heart. And, like Gracie, she is ALL GIRL...NOT like her mother. I never did dance, gymnastics...I was a total tomboy...so this is fun and different. GOOD luck w/ your candy/pop removal. I do not do POP...but, I like chocolate...alot. :) Jen H.

Marit C-L said...

Love the outfit - she looks so cute!

And the PB Cup. One word: yum!

Enjoy!!!