? ??????????????Glacier Lake? ????? ?? ???Rating: 4.0 (1 Rating)??1162 Grabs Today. 2040 Total Grabs. ????
??Preview?? | ??Get the Code?? ?? ????????????????????? ??????Halloween Jack? ????? ?? ???Rating: 4.0 (3 Ratings)??297 Grabs Today. 1761 Total Grabs. ??????Preview?? | ??Get the Co BLOGGER TEMPLATES - TWITTER BACKGROUNDS ?

Saturday, February 23, 2008

Run for the Son 2008!!


Well... today I had my first open run race of the 2008 season!!


I've got to be honest when I say I went in with mixed feelings!


It's a 10K. And that's just not a distance that I feel really comfortable with.... for a lot of reasons! :)


1) I've only raced 4 10k's in my lifetime!! The first two were where I ran the Peachtree Road Race in 2000 and 2001. I think my times were 59:something my first year, and 58:something the second year. Both of these races were run for FUN! You don't RACE the Peachtree Road Race unless you're invited pretty much!! There are seriously THOUSANDS of people who run that race and though they try to seed it, it just doesn't quite work out that way. So I just went out and ran with friends for the fun of it!!


2) The other 2 were inside of triathlons. I did Tugaloo in 2006 and my run split was 51:something. THAT was a super tough one for me!! It was a ton of hills inside a St. Park and I was SOOO not prepared for that race. My other was last year during the Chattahoochee Waterfront Tri, and well I've said before that that run was disastrous!! No food or salt brought me to a 59:00 10k and it's mostly FLAT!!


So... you can kind of see why my confidence level wasn't exactly high for this 10k. :)


THEN.... I'm told, oh this run is SUPER hilly!! I'm like OH GREAT!! Hills!! :( I have 0% confidence on the hills!!


BUT... Jen got me all pumped up!! She fixed it where I went in not totally trashed. We decided to use it as an LT test for me, so my instructions... 80% for the first 1/2 mile, then 100% for the entire rest of the run!! I had a mission... FIND MY HURT BOX!!


That made me nervous! :)


I mean I've been WANTING to push myself, but it's easier said than done!


So yesterday she walked me through dinner-the finish line every step of the way!! We had a nutrition, hydration, pace, everything game plan!!


Races, no matter what distance or goal make me nervous. I don't sleep well the night before. I'm ALWAYS up before the alarm, and my stomach just does that butterfly thing until the gun goes off!!


Well I followed her plan precisely. Lined up with the top runners right near the front, and OFF I went!!


I'm trying to focus on MY level, MY run. It's so tempting to sprint off with the front pack right at the beginning. But I was sticking to my game plan and knew that I just wasn't going to be able to keep up with some of them, so I let them go.


The first section of the race was a short out and back turn around. It headed slightly up hill from the start, which got my hr going! I could feel myself pushing, and then once I got to where I figured I was about 1/2 a mile in, I started pumping it a little harder! I wore my Garmin, but made it where I couldn't see my hr. I was afraid of looking down at the number and getting scared I'd blow up! So I honestly tried to look at my watch as little as possible. I'd check my mile splits, but that was about it! I didn't want to focus on anything but my PE Level. Because the goal was to go all out, and since we were using this to kind of figure out what that was for me exactly... I didn't want any numbers messing with my mind!!


So, we turn around and get back to where we started from about 1.5 miles in. Then the run REALLY begins. There was 3 more long stretches of road to go. 2 Major hills on the first stretch, and then I was TOLD from there it wasn't that bad! HA!! Driving roads does NOT give the hills justice if you ask me. You never really know how steep and nasty some of those hills are until your hr is maxed out and you're running up it begging for the crest!!


So once I hit that first turn... I'm booking it at this point! I try to keep pushing despite the fact that my stomach is already starting to disagree with me. Jen told me that if I wasn't nauseous by mile 4, then I wasn't pushing it hard enough. Well I think sloshy stomach was replaced by nausea at around 2.5-3 miles!! So then I'm like, "CRAP am I going to blow up!!" But I kept hearing her say that I wouldn't. Just to keep fighting, so I did!


The hills weren't quite as bad on the last 2 stretches, but they were there for sure! And there was a decent down hill section as well which my heart greatly appreciated!!


All and All... I finished 48:17!!


My somewhat goal time was to try to come in under 50min. With the hills, my inexperience with the distance, and limited speed training... I knew better than to think I could go out there and do much better.


So even though 48:17 isn't FAST for some!! It was for me today!!


I ended up coming in 2nd in my age-group (which was still 29 for this race!), and I haven't gotten confirming results but I think around 5th or 6th woman overall. So, it was good and I was happy!!


Why???... Because I went out and did EXACTLY what I was supposed to!! I followed Jen's plan to the T, came in under my semi-goal, got the info Jen needed to plan my hr from here on out, and PUSHED myself to the point that I thought I WAS going to puke at the end!!


What does that mean from here... HOPEFULLY, I'll get FASTER and FASTER and come St. Anthony's and Florida 70.3, which are flat runs, I'll PR all year!!


Thank you so much to EVERYONE for your support!! I thought about Jen telling me to "GO. GO. GO!!", the HTFU crew!!, and All my blogger friends out there rooting for me today! You guys are the best!!


2008 BRING IT ON!!

K :)

15 comments:

Mel said...

WAHOOOOOO...you almost puked, so that means you ran out of your comfort zone and into the hurt zone...so you know you were pushing it more than usual...Great job and you beat your other times, so you know something is clicking for a good 2008!!!

Jen in Budapest said...

Dang girl!!! You ROCK!!!
a-maze-ing!

Way to go. I wanna have me some of that.

Marit C-L said...

Good Girl! Wonderful wonderful wonderful - I was on the edge of my seat reading your report! Yeah yeah yea!!!!!! YOU ROCK! Relish your achievement - you did GREAT! I was sending you all sorts of "good Florida vibes" today - hurrah!

Time to celebrate!

Pedergraham said...

Kellye:
Great job today. 10ks are so tough! Great start to your run racing for the year. I am looking forward to watching you nail your run goals again in your next few races!

Anonymous said...

KELLYEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE! Awesome job! YEHHHAW! :)) congrats on your awesome race!! JEN H.

Beth said...

CONGRATS Kellye!!! You were WAY under your goal time - looks like it's time to set some new goals! :) Can't wait to see how fast you are running in your tris this year!

Wes said...

48:17 is superfast :-) Congrats on a job well done!!!

BreeWee said...

Way to go Kel! That is AWESOME! You just set a PR in your first race of the season & with a new coach & freakin' about hills (NO MORE OF THAT BY THE WAY!) I am so happy to read this report, I was hoping all morning that you and Beth would be hitting some speed today! I was like Marit, on my seat reading this... I am so proud and can hardly wait to see you at St. Anthony's and run that flat run... I am sure Jen will have you even faster by then and knowing her she will have you loving hills and pain too! Way to hurt!

BreeWee said...

OH... email me your address and I can send you the mix I sent to Beth.

Anonymous said...

Well done!!! Great job on following your race plan and listening to your super smart Coach! You are in for a great season!

Mira (Ivanovich) Lelovic said...

Congratulations on a great 10K race! First race of the season, they'll only get better from here!

Brooke Myers said...

2008 is looking good for you!!!
Watch out to those around you because I think you may have some tricks up your sleeve or in your shoes......

Nice work beating your times!!!
Hope you had fun!

Pedergraham said...

Kellye:
Guess what? We were away for five days...and a mouse or two moved in while we were gone! Guess it's time for spring cleaning. :)

triguyjt said...

wow...almost 2 minutes under your goal of 50:00

great work...

good luck in 08

Steve Stenzel said...

Nice run!! Way to go!