? ??????????????Glacier Lake? ????? ?? ???Rating: 4.0 (1 Rating)??1162 Grabs Today. 2040 Total Grabs. ????
??Preview?? | ??Get the Code?? ?? ????????????????????? ??????Halloween Jack? ????? ?? ???Rating: 4.0 (3 Ratings)??297 Grabs Today. 1761 Total Grabs. ??????Preview?? | ??Get the Co BLOGGER TEMPLATES - TWITTER BACKGROUNDS ?

Saturday, February 2, 2008

Happy Groundhog's Day!!

Believe it or not, Groundhog's Day is kind of special in our family!

Many years ago, when Adam and I were much younger :) and after we'd been dating awhile, he cracked some joke about Groundhog's Day being his favorite holiday! He thinks he's funny :), and says stupid things like that often (i.e. favorite veg. on pizza...cheese)!

I honestly can't remember what my thoughts were exactly at that time, but I decided that year to celebrate Groundhog's Day!

Guys always gripe about Valentine's Day being made for women. And even though I had always celebrated Valentine's Day for him as he had for me, I kind of thought that this would be his own special day.

Not to mention... how many people celebrate Groundhog's Day??!!

So, each year I always do something special. I try to correlate the theme around what Punxsutawney Phil predicts. One year he said 6 more weeks of winter, so I put together this whole Winter themed package with books and a scarf and movies and stuff like that. I've also done Spring things, like one year I signed us up for a 6 week tennis course! (Yeah... my hand-eye coordination is not NEAR what it should be :)!


Typically I do some sort of dessert that he likes. This year I decided on a Groundhog's Day Cake since Devil's Food Cake is his favorite! I have always enjoyed creating different kinds of cakes!
(*This really didn't turn out 100% as I had envisioned :)...Oh Well, you live and learn :)


Since Punxsutawney Phil predicted 6 more weeks of winter for this year, and we're planning on going skiing in March, I decided on a pair of sunglasses for our ski trip. He has a super-duper Rx, so I couldn't get them for today, but they should be ready in time. (And... kind of worked out because sunglasses are a ski/winter necessity AND for summer, so I kind of cheated :)

Anyways, I really like that we celebrate this day. Kind of separates Valentine's Day a bit too, and it's just something out of the ordinary. I figure it's nice to celebrate the small things in life too!

Happy Groundhog's Day to you all!!
K :)

6 comments:

Wes said...

I love that cake! What a great idea!! I'm sure Adam got a kick out of it!!! Alrighty then... Dee Dee and I are off to the Silver Comet Trail. Dee Dee, God bless her, has her eye on New Orleans 70.3 in 2009. How'd I get so lucky? ;-)

Marit C-L said...

Holy Cow! You posted a picture of our cat's cousin! Your ground hog looks just like our 18.2 pound Tabbitha - aswesome! I broke out laughing when I saw the image.Nate was beside himself. And the cake...wow. Nice job. Looks delicious! Any day is a GREAT day for cake!

Mel said...

VERY creative :) Enjoy the cake!!!

Pedergraham said...

I think the cake looks great! Your Adam is lucky to have you do these types of nice little things for him. Plus, I bet the kids love the cake, too.

All within 7 days, I have Andrew's birthday, our anniversary, and Valentine's Day. I've given up trying to get three special gifts and just combine them all together...and that makes me feel a little bit guilty. (Thank goodness we don't celebrate Groundhog Day, too!)

Anonymous said...

Love it! I think you could give Rachael Ray a run for her money!

kerrie said...

love, love, love the cake!!!!:)

good luck with your 'pleasure' free diet - no more cakes like this one!