? ??????????????Glacier Lake? ????? ?? ???Rating: 4.0 (1 Rating)??1162 Grabs Today. 2040 Total Grabs. ????
??Preview?? | ??Get the Code?? ?? ????????????????????? ??????Halloween Jack? ????? ?? ???Rating: 4.0 (3 Ratings)??297 Grabs Today. 1761 Total Grabs. ??????Preview?? | ??Get the Co BLOGGER TEMPLATES - TWITTER BACKGROUNDS ?

Monday, April 28, 2008

St. Anthony's: Kicking off the Tri Season!

Well.... It has officially begun! Tri season is here, and I raced St. Anthony's yesterday to kick off my season.

It was a lot of fun! By far the biggest race I've ever done before! 4500 people... WOW!! That is a lot of people. 32 Swim waves, and I was in like 28 of the 32. So LOTS of waiting around! Honestly, not the biggest fan of the waiting... I get too nervous! I need to get in there and get it done. Sitting around for 2 hours before you start, those butterflies just build up!

Adam hung out with me a little bit in the beginning, so it went by pretty quickly, but still!

The weekend went by so quickly as well!

We arrived around 6:30pm in St. Petersburg at the house we rented. The house was AWESOME!! It was a young man's home that rented it out for vacation, and though it was an older home, he had completely restored it, and it was so nice!

The house was full of beautiful furniture and unique decorative items. It had a huge flat screen t.v. with all kinds of movies and games for the kids and a couch that you could seriously live in it was so comfortable!

The outside was the best! He had this little backyard pond on the side where our new friend Boris lived. He was the pet turtle who is very much like Rocky in that he loves to eat! We kept feeding him turkey and so everytime he saw us, he'd come up to us expecting food. Then there was a pool with 3 separate cabana areas... It was great!

So we got somewhat settled in, and then Saturday was so busy!

By the time you do your quick swim, bike, and run, get checked in, check out the expo, check your bike in, etc... It was like 2pm! I promised the kids we'd go to the beach, so we headed over to the public beach area at around 3pm. Ok... it was like Spring Break all over again! We went to this place called Crabby's for lunch and it was seriously a meat factory! Boy's and girls all over who thought they were WAY hotter than they actually were! It was funny!

And I have a declaration.... and if this offends you, I'm sorry... I'm just telling it like it is!

NO ONE... No matter how beautiful, fit, tan, in shape, toned, etc you are.... NO ONE.... should wear a thong! It's not attractive... PERIOD! I was eating for crying out loud... I do not want to see your rear!

Ok, so I've went off on a tanget... Sorry :)

So before I know it, it's Sunday morning!

I did my waiting as I mentioned earlier.... and then the swim...

The swim was kind of rough. I was hoping for it to be faster than I did, but you know... you live and learn. The water was rough and we were swimming against the current for the majority of it. Sighting has always been a problem for me, so I really focused on it this time. I think I did really well with it! But I couldn't navigate very well. Coming in on one of the last swim waves, by the time we got to the first turn, I was swimming amongst 2 other swim cap colors. I was trying to grab hold of someones feet that I thought I could hang with, but the only feet I kept finding were those of the slower ladies 2 groups ahead of me that were doing the breast stroke. So I kept having to swim around all of those people and couldn't really get into any sort of a groove. So when I came out of the water and looked at my watch, I was thinking... CRAP! But, I just chugged along and knew I'd catch up on the bike...

T1 Freaked me out a bit too because I knew I was feeling like it was taking forever... However, I looked at the other girls in my age-groups splits, and a lot of people were kind of slower too...Still something I feel I need to work on. So off to the bike!

I knew it was supposed to be a technical course with 40 turns. So I told Coach Jen I wanted a 1:07, and she said push for 1:10. Again, coming off the back, that's just that many more people to try to navigate around, so times get slower towards the end. So we decided a 1:10 would be good. Well, I felt GREAT on the bike! I was flying and things were going really well. I have this little thing I like to play while I'm on the bike racing and that's I don't want to get passed by any girl! And there was this one girl that kept trying to pass me. She passed me 2 times, and I kept just pushing for my opportunity to catch her. I felt like she'd lose some speed towards the end. Fortunately, I caught her in one of the last turns and came in without allowing anyone to pass! Some girl in my age group did beat my bike split by 13 sec. So I ended up with the 2nd fastest, but I held true to my no pass rule, and came in at 1:07 exactly! I was very happy with that!

The run was freaking HOT! Maybe it won't seem that hot in a couple of months. Living in Georgia, I get used to serious heat and humidity, but my body isn't acclimated to it now. So it seriously hurt! But I did push it to the best of my ability I think. I finished with nothing left to give, and that's all I can ask for. It wasn't as fast as I'd like... but I guess we can almost always say that. :)

But the good news is that this was my 3rd Olympic Distance triathlon. My previous times were a 2:48:59 at Tugaloo in 2006, a 2:50:49 at Chattanooga Waterfront in 2007 with a 2 min. penalty and yesterday I finished with a 2:29:35. Almost a 20 min drop in my times on that distance, so a new MUCH better PR, and I'm definitely happy about that! Plus, I ended up with 8th in my age-group, so that was great! And I walked away with a lot of stuff that I've learned so I can get ready for Hawaii 70.3 in less than 5 weeks!!

Oh.... and my hip/butt/leg did pretty well! I loaded up on some advil right before the race to take the edge off and by the time I got to the run, I never really felt it! All that adrenaline had me going! :) So that was good, and it isn't really that bad today either, so hopefully with a week's worth of "recovery" here at Disney, I'll be ready to go full speed ahead next week!! :)

And of course the best part of the trip was getting to meet some of my favorite blogger friends! I met Jen of course in person and Bree. I hate that I never met up with Brooke or Beth. I honestly did look for you Brooke in a blue swim cap at the swim start!

Congratulations to everyone on a super race! Amy W... you did great! Bree, Jen, Beth all had amazing races! Let's go get 'em girls!!
K :)

My internet is slow... so I can't post pictures now, but I will add them this afternoon!

21 comments:

Wes said...

Yay! Dee Dee was checking your times yesterday while I was typing up my race report. You did awesome. 20 minutes is beyond huge!! I'm glad your injury never reared its ugly head.

Have fun in Disney!! Congrats again!!

Anonymous said...

KELLYE,
AWESOME job...we'll take a PR anyday! And, perhaps I should not have been so conservative on your bike split, eh? Way to prove me wrong...I like that. Congrats and enjoy your time in Disney. My kids asked if I saw Mickey Mouse when I was in FL. :) Jen H. CONGRATS!!!!!!!

Marit C-L said...

Wow, you my dear, are a BIKE STUD! Holy Cow Kellye - you are a rock star - way to hit that 1:07. I know that must have been AWESOME. AND really happy to hear the run went well. Enjoy the recovery in Disney, and a HUGE congrats on an awesome start to your season. :)

Wish I could have been out there, cheering you on in person. But there was LOTS of cheering from Pensacola. :)

Danielle said...

You did SOOOOO awesome!! I was looking at your bike split on the results page thinking to myself "I am so happy that she aged up this year!!!" Congrats on a really wonderful race!

kerrie said...

awesome race - glad it went well!
and that you got a much deserved PR!!!!!!!! yay! enjoy disney!

Anonymous said...

Great job girl! I was checking it all out on-line and wishing I was there. Not even to race but just to watch and meet everyone.

Awesome PR and a wonderful way to start the year!

Eileen Swanson said...

So awesome Kellye! Way to kick off the season. You are going to do so great all season.....WOOHOO

E

BreeWee said...

I have a photo to email you! Seriously, that waiting is forever! Our first waves were done by the time you all got to start! I agree, butterflies only build! And then it is almost lunch time... BUT you did so GREAT! Smokin' on that bike... Meeting you was a hi-light and you are so little and cute like your photos! See you in Hawaii... you did all the heat training you need with that run in the sun yesterday!

Pedergraham said...

woohoo--great job on the bike!!! I would have been a wreck if I had to sit around for an extra 2 hours.
-Danielle
P.S. Have fun at Disney!

Ashley said...

GREAT job this weekend. AWESOME bike. I was sending vibes, glad to know they got through ;)

Mel said...

AWESOME.....Pr by 20 minutes!!! Sounds like you had a solid race even if you had to sit around for 2 hours before toeing the starting line/.....UGGGG I would have been in the porta potty as my nerves would have been shot!!!!
Great job Kellye...I love the photo of you and Bree on her blog...you do look little (cute though:)

Brooke Myers said...

You had a great race -Congrats!
I would have loved to cheer you on and about the waiting around - it stinks I know!!
Sorry we never got to meet - when your'r in KONA..

Jen said...

What an AWESOME way to start the season! Congratulations!

Danni said...

Great Job Kellye!!
Congrats on your PR!!! AWESOME!!!

Beth said...

Hey Kellye!! Oscar and I are bummed we didn't get to meet you. There were soooo many people around after the race - wow, it would have been a miracle to track you down! Regardless, congrats on a SUPER race!! 20 minute PR?!?! WOW!!! And having to wait so long to even start was very rough. The heat was so much worse at that point. Regardless, great way to start the season. Hope you guys are having a blast at Disney!

Sam said...

Great race! You are so much faster then me.

Steve Stenzel said...

Nice job! Where are the pics?!?

I get crazy waiting around too. But, HOLY COW, way to predict your times! Well done!!!

Jen in Budapest said...

2:29!!! Rock on, Kellye! That is SUCH an inspiration to me to see you beat your previous records by 20 minutes. I'm trying to knock off a bunch of time on the bike leg from training times. But good for you, Kellye!

OK and I had to laugh
"Boys and girls...who thought they were WAY hotter than they actually were........NO ONE should wear a thong. It's not attractive!"

Hilariously true. The other thing people shouldn't do in public which they do all the time is give their boyfriends/girlfriends "tongue". Making out like that less than 2 feet away from my eyeballs without shame is just incredibly presumptuous. Do you think I really want to see that? NO. OK, now I'm on a tangent. OH well.

TriBunny said...

Great Job Kellye. It was nice seeing you after the race ;) BTW, Congrats on the smokin' fast bike split and the 20 minute PR. I'm looking forward to watching your season unfold this year. Can't wait to hear about your Hawaii race. Congrats again!

Sally said...

Great race Kellye! It was so nice to meet you (thanks for introducing us Jenny!) You rocked the bike and it looks like you are headed for one PR season.
All the best,
Sally Long

Alberto said...

Congratulations on a great race. I am very happy for you and at the same time sad that I wasn't there since I kinda gave you all the tips to sign up for it.

That was a great time and congratulations for being so precise on reaching your desired goal time on the bike.

I didn't know that you are doing Hawaii 70.3. You've got to tell me about that race.

Se you soon !