? ??????????????Glacier Lake? ????? ?? ???Rating: 4.0 (1 Rating)??1162 Grabs Today. 2040 Total Grabs. ????
??Preview?? | ??Get the Code?? ?? ????????????????????? ??????Halloween Jack? ????? ?? ???Rating: 4.0 (3 Ratings)??297 Grabs Today. 1761 Total Grabs. ??????Preview?? | ??Get the Co BLOGGER TEMPLATES - TWITTER BACKGROUNDS ?

Saturday, April 12, 2008

One of Those Weekends...

Well... we've all shared our success stories of great races and workouts! And Liz has been kind enough to point out that not every workout can be a new record setting, PR kind of workout.

That was my kind of weekend... a not so good one.

Ever since my long brick last Sunday, my lower back/right hip has been bugging me. As well as my left shoulder. I knew what was wrong... my right SI Joint is and has been out of whack for awhile. It in itself has never caused me any pain, it just causes other issues that hurt. (shin splints, etc. :) And my shoulder doesn't like paddles very much. So it was a little ticked at me as well from some recent swims.

Well because of this reason and that reason, I haven't been to physical therapy but once in like 3-4 weeks. You know how it goes, something gets better and then you take your treatment for granted. So my SI Joint has basically gotten all locked up. And that dormant knot in my shoulder became not so dormant anymore. I went last Sunday and did that long ride where all of the muscles and tissues surrounding the SI joint got overworked, fatigued, inflammed, and finally started to actually hurt.

I nursed my body all week, but kept up with my schedule. It was just kind of nagging. And FINALLY made an appointment for physical therapy this past Friday, yesterday.

Thank goodness!!

My hip had gotten a lot better, but after a 3 hour ride on Friday, it had again gotten all jacked-up.

Needless to say, that workout sucked. I was ticked too because it was supposed to be all leisurely and such. Zone 1-2 stuff and the weather was beautiful, so my opportunity to go out and just kind of enjoy my ride was shadowed by the fact that my back REALLY hurt the whole time!

So from there to my MUCH needed appointment and thank goodness Laura made both feel a lot better!

Woke up today feeling pretty good! Went about my normal business. Finally got myself to the pool for my workout this afternoon and by this time when my left shoulder knots up and then finally gets better... the typical pattern is that the knot in the right shoulder shows up. Not sure if it's because my right shoulder compensates for the left when it's fatigued and so the irritation just goes from one to the other, but regardless, I spent my swim with my right shoulder bothering me. AND I found myself really tired. But I told myself to stick to my workout. Work through it and keep pushing to hit those numbers.

Well, didn't happen. I wasn't really bummed about it because I figured I did what I could do. Pushed like I was supposed to and checked it off of my list.

Ok... on to my Long Run, which honestly wasn't really all that long. 1:15 with only the last 20 min at Tempo pace.

Started out feeling ok. But didn't take long to realize that again, this wasn't going to be one of those feeling great, things going awesome kind of workouts.

My heart rate was too high from the get-go, while my pace was slower than usual. Didn't think too much about it because I was supposed to do a long warm-up, so I just kept it easy and kept chugging along. Before too long though.... you guessed it... that right hip had decided it'd had enough. But since Laura said it'd be ok to run and I knew what the issue was and didn't think I was really hurting myself, I stuck with it.
I told myself to think of it as training to push through pain. It wasn't anything unbearable, and by the time I got to my 20 min of tempo work it was just SAD....

I was pushing the zone 3, but at a pace that should have put me in zone 1. S...L...O....W, but yet felt like I should have been setting new records with the effort I was giving it.

FINALLY finished up, again feeling like I'd done all I could and couldn't feel bad about myself because well... You can't win them all.

Tried to stretch it out, but started really hurting at this point. By the time I got home...... I am hobbling. My right hip is KILLING me :(

Ice bath... advil....stretching in every which away that my body can contour to try to reach those places, heat, more ice, and now rest... I'm trying to recover.

At least tomorrow is my off day, so hopefully all that is FLAMING will settle! And I don't have to worry about either suffering through yet another losing workout OR skipping it, which is what I'd probably do if I had anything on the schedule for tomorrow.

It's not a TOTAL loss... I've learned to NEVER skip out on PT again at least not for that long when I'm training like I am! I'll be back first thing Monday morning! :)
I'm continuing to learn the push points of my body.... the I can work through this kind of pain vs. the I've had enough, let's re-group kind of pain!

And I'm continuing to learn how to deal with the it's just not going to happen, but don't give up and keep trying kind of workouts!

So... if you've had a not so good day and the LAST thing you want to read is about everyone's GRAND workouts and breakthroughs... feel free to come here and read about the NOT so good ones!! :)

Tomorrow is my Cooper's 5th birthday! And of course, it's supposed to be unusually cold here tomorrow! I swear.... It NEVER fails! :)

But cold or not... we will have a great time at his and Gracie's Barbie Princess/Hot Wheels Party because well..... Cake + Ice Cream + presents = ALWAYS FUN!! No matter what!!

Good luck to everyone racing IM AZ tomorrow!! I hope that day for everyone there is the PERFECT race day!!
K :)


8 comments:

kerrie said...

see, perfect timing for a day off/rest day ;)! it is okay to have days like that and it is okay to take a break.
enjoy your kiddos and the birthday party and eat some cake for me!

Marit C-L said...

Hey Kellye - my friend, it will be okay! We all have tough days, tough workouts, and tough SERIES of days! Sometimes we just don't hit the numbers, don't feel the workout, and for the life of us... can't figure out why! But that's okay - all natural. The point is to push through, to remember why you're doing this, and to ENJOY your family and day off.

Oh yeah - and to NOT skip the PT. VERy important to keep that in mind. Lesson learned! And you'll be stronger than EVER after these workouts, I just know it! Hang in there and happy 5th to Cooper!

Wes said...

Just damn... Why can't our bodies just cooperate with our mind :-) I did much better after this weekend then last weekend, but I'm still trying to decide if my ankle is swollen or not :-(

Some of the folks in the Georgia forum are trying to put together an open water swim next Saturday. They have discussed Mary Alice Park or Dallas Landing, which is in Acworth. I'll join them if they go to Dallas Landing. If not, then Dee Dee and I will go back to Victoria Beach for dip. Lemme know if that interests you.

Hope the hip and SI thingee gets with the damn program!!

Wes said...

oops, Georgia forum at BeginnerTriathlete.com...

Anonymous said...

It's a good think you have a day off coming up! Take care of yourself. It sounds like you are doing all the right things. This will pass!!

Enjoy some cake!!!

Beth said...

Sorry you didn't have the workouts you were looking for. Bummer. But like everyone else said (and you said too!) it happens to EVERYONE - so just hang in there, get healthy and you will be back to great workouts in no time! Hope the birthday was great today!

Jennifer Cunnane said...

My total sympathies! I just hate those days!!! I remember always having those days - um, once a week when my kids were little and up at night so I never recovered. I used to have a similar issue with my "back feeling jacked up". Have you tried stretching over an exercise ball? In other words, lay your back over the ball and roll back till your head is upside down? Since I started doing this the last year - no back problems! It stretches out you back, core and quadrus laborum sp? you know what I mean so all those muscles do not knot up and loosen up. Talk soon - keep working on your goals!

Pedergraham said...

Kellye:
I had the Facts of Life song playing in my mind while I read this. You might be a little too young to remember that show: "You take the good, you take the bad, you take them all and then you have the facts of life..."

Anyway, just a silly little ditty, but hoping your SI issues resolve quickly and that your Cooper has a great day.

-Danielle