? ??????????????Glacier Lake? ????? ?? ???Rating: 4.0 (1 Rating)??1162 Grabs Today. 2040 Total Grabs. ????
??Preview?? | ??Get the Code?? ?? ????????????????????? ??????Halloween Jack? ????? ?? ???Rating: 4.0 (3 Ratings)??297 Grabs Today. 1761 Total Grabs. ??????Preview?? | ??Get the Co BLOGGER TEMPLATES - TWITTER BACKGROUNDS ?

Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Listening to Our Bodies!


Well, apparently my rear hurts more than originally thought and is DEMANDING that I take a rest!


Jen decided to move my hard run to the weekend and go for just an easy run yesterday. I went to Physical Therapy and was feeling ok. Went to the gym, hopped on the treadmill, and tried to run at a leisurely pace. It hurt of course, but sometimes things need just a few minutes to try to "work it out."


So I decided 10 min at the point that I'm at and if it doesn't ease up, I will quit. At 10 min, it was still sharp pain, so I backed off and tried to walk it out for a few thinking that would be better than nothing, but nope... I'd already re-irritated it and it said enough is enough!


And I LISTENED!


This whole situation is like some sort of calling to me or something because I swear to you that this past Saturday, on my way to do the run that ultimately did my hip in, I was catching up on blogs and had just finished reading Kerrie's blog about her deciding to take the day off. I wrote a comment about how I still was trying to figure out the difference between pain I should push through and pain that means I should stop.


Well, it's like my body interpreted the message as some sort of assignment, and it's now teaching me the difference! :)


At least for me, I have a hard time with it. As athletes, we know that there will be pain associated with the amount and type of training that we do. We use words like "Hurt Box" and "Suffer" as a part of our daily vocabulary!


So when is enough enough and when are we wussing out???


Well, I don't know if anyone else out there can really explain it, but I guess you just KNOW.


And yesterday I just knew. I knew when I hopped off that treadmill that I'd un-done all I'd tried to recover from physical therapy in just a short 10 min run. So yesterday, I spent the rest of the day limping around as my hip was "stuck." I made a decision then and there and emailed Jen that I needed some time to let that tissue heal!


She completely agreed and so today I went back to PT and then instead of trying to see if that "worked", I'm giving it 48 hours rest. At least from running.


I MAY hop on the trainer tonight and try to easily spin it out to keep some motion happening in that area. But then again, I may just let it completely relax for today and try that tomorrow.


Hopefully, after some rest and another PT appt. on Friday morning, I can ease back into some running this weekend and be all READY to go for St. Anthony's next weekend!!


I'm pretty sure that that's how this will go. The rational part of me isn't worried about it and knows that there's really nothing serious going on. The Crazy Kellye is of course stressing about not being able to do the final prep before the race. But, fortunately the rational Kellye is winning at the moment! :)


And it's funny how incompetent I feel as a Body listener as an athlete because when I went through infertility with Cooper, I felt like an EXPERT!


I learned to sense every single moment that my body was performing any sort of process. And it was because it was something that I wanted so badly and therefore REALLY listened closely. So, I've got to build some confidence in that area, and I definitely feel that this is a step towards that.


Because during races, training, recovery, life in general... we've got to be prepared to listen!


I know a lot of people in this area who did Ironman Arizona that didn't really have the race they were hoping for. It's so tough training all winter for something that you go out and the heat hits you literally for the very first time! I think a lot of them got a lesson in listening this weekend, and I think everyone did a pretty good job with it!


So, I'm going to be fine as is everyone else! Rest for me and thanks for all the well wishes for my Rear from all of you guys!!

K :)

9 comments:

Wes said...

Have you thought about putting your butt in a sling? {duck} don't hit me :-)

All kidding aside... I agree with about everything you said. In your condition, I think you could sit on your rear, pun intended, until race day and do awesome!

I do hope you recover soon and well! All the BT'ers are meeting at 8 AM at Dallas Landing Saturday... It's gonna chilly! Woot!!!

kerrie said...

i'm glad you are taking a rest and reading your body well;). i always have little conversations with myself and ask myself if i am doing this(taking a break) because i am a wimp or is it because it is something i truly need? sounds like you have figured it out! remember that rest can be a great thing.

Sam said...

A few days rest now will save you from weeks of on and off pain. Take a break and let it heal.

Pedergraham said...

Sending healthy vibes to your butt! Can you sneak in a massage at all? Hope it gets better quickly and good job letting rational Kellye be in charge for a few days!
-Danielle

Wes said...

Hey Kells! We are meeting at 8 AM on Saturday, not Sunday at Dallas Landing. Have fun at Hobgood!!

BreeWee said...

Ice ice baby! Hope your booty gets better soon, maybe you should take a break from all the break dancin' you do on your butt during your free time!
Oh and yes, rest is a BEAUTIFUL thing... enjoy it if you can...

Mel said...

What is up with all these BUTT issues :) First it was everyone was sick and now it is hurt BUTTS :) Well, I hope it gets better real quick..get rested up!!!

Marit C-L said...

Oh Kellye - sending healing butt vibes your way! I know how much of a pain in the rear it can be... :)

I think you made the totally right decision. You are so close to St. Anthony's that thiswill not affect your race at all. You've put in the time and awesome training - and the extra rest will make you all that much faster.

Heal up soon! If I could take your butt pain away with a magic wave of my wand, I would. But you're doing great! Chin up, rest up, ice ice (like Bree said), and you'll be right as rain in now time.

Trigirlpink said...

Oh no! Jen has two of us with lower back and hip issues??? Misery loves company! xoxoxo