? ??????????????Glacier Lake? ????? ?? ???Rating: 4.0 (1 Rating)??1162 Grabs Today. 2040 Total Grabs. ????
??Preview?? | ??Get the Code?? ?? ????????????????????? ??????Halloween Jack? ????? ?? ???Rating: 4.0 (3 Ratings)??297 Grabs Today. 1761 Total Grabs. ??????Preview?? | ??Get the Co BLOGGER TEMPLATES - TWITTER BACKGROUNDS ?

Thursday, April 17, 2008

"Do The Right Thing!"

This is my new mantra!

At least it has been for the past week!

At the beginning of the year, I decided on the word BALANCE.

It seemed perfect at the time. I mean in all of our crazy lives it's what most of us seek. We try to balance our schedules, our time, our passions, our work, etc. And even as triathletes we must balance the training between 3 sports individually as well as working them together.

Well lately that word just hasn't been working for me. I guess because it leaves open too much room for ambiguity and wrong doing if you will! :)

We all have things that come easily to us and then we all have our issues we struggle with. Some of the issues I struggle with:

*Getting up early to go to Masters
*Eating healthfully
*Finding time to squeeze in work so that I'm not shoving it in on any given notice
*Pushing myself beyond my current limits
*Recovering properly
*Flossing every night and going to bed on time :) (I know this one sounds funny, but flossing is a BIG deal to me! And I know when things are off track when I skip it because I'm too tired to stand there for 2 min and get it done and chose to go CRASH into bed instead! :)

So I sat down the other day and was looking over a journal entry that I wrote at the beginning of the year about this whole balance concept. I was trying to figure out where it was going wrong. And then it occurred to me that it was because what I was doing was balancing meeting these goals and good habits with blowing it off.

See, for me it's like this vicious cycle!
1. I get totally FED UP with myself for slacking on these things and decide I MUST get back on track!
2. Things go well for awhile
3. Life happens, start juggling things to meet everyone's and everything's demands
4. Things get chaotic and crazy, and I get TIRED!
5. I start to let myself "slip" because.... Well we can't be perfect all of the time.
6. I continue to get off track as I excuse myself from hanging with my focused habits.
7. I enter into the well... it's too late now phase, I might as well have one more cookie! :)
8. Ultimately, I'm off the band wagon, I get fed up again, and the process repeats!

So see the problem in focusing on that word balance for me is that it's up for too much interpretation on my part! :)

Now, I'm not promoting a lifestyle of trying to be 100%... 100% of the time!

I'd like to think that there's no one out there like that! :)

But, I started listening to myself a little more lately... (read my last post!) and what I realized is I KNEW when I was bailing when I shouldn't be!

See, fortunately, most of us have been given that little voice inside our heads that tells us, "Ah, ah, ah... is this REALLY what would be best???"

And if you're me, you either A. Ignore it.... B. Tell it to shut up... or C. Explain to it WHY it should be ok!

Even though we all know deep down when we're just reasoning with ourselves in a dishonest way. Kind of goes along with Liz's post from yesterday about being honest with ourselves.

So ultimately I decided that I needed to REALLY start getting to know that little voice inside my head! And what does that little voice do for us? It helps us choose to "DO THE RIGHT THING!"

What's great is that right thing is different for us all, and different at different times.

For example: If you know me at all by now, you know my sweet tooth is OUT OF CONTROL!! :) And I would justify those extra treats because well, I had a super tough workout that day, or I was in a really bad mood and needed to make myself feel better, or well it was this special occasion or that special occasion. And I'm not just talking a special little treat, I'm talking all of the time!

And honestly, it's not like I eat it CRAZY often. It's really more about the fact that I eat stuff like that for the wrong reasons. You know... as a way to make me feel better or justify things or what not if that makes any sense.

So the other day I decided I wanted something sweet and asked that little voice in my head if that was the right thing to do, and it said YES! So, I decided to go through the drive-thru at Starbucks for a Grande Java Chip Light Frappacino!! Yummy!!

Well when I got there a piece of their cinnamon coffee cake sure sounded good too! And then came that little voice... "Ah... you don't really need that." And then I started to think, "Ah... it's only like 200 calories more and besides, I don't really worry about calories!" But the bottom line is I asked myself for this situation right now, what was the right thing to do? And it was to just stick with the frappacino. Because I didn't get it... I didn't really want it... And I didn't miss it after I made that decision!

So it worked... And it's not just food either. Last night... SUPER tired! Running 20 min late for bedtime and did NOT feel like flossing. But I knew that I'd be mad at myself in the morning for not doing it. And that little voice said, "Come on... it takes 2 min!"

So I made the decision, did it, and was glad for it!

This little trick of mine is working for helping me with the budget. Do I REALLY need to buy that?? And sometimes the answer is Yes... It's not about torturing myself!! :)

It's just really about digging down deep and really KNOWING what your inner self says you should do.

And for me.... For now... it's working!
K :)

14 comments:

Lauren Starks said...

Balance is so hard to find, especially when there are kids! It's so easy to put ourselves on the back burner because we feel like we're slighting them (sometimes) if we prioritize something we need to do for ourselves...

Of course, I type this with my hands that are in dire need of a manicure. LOL. But, hey, nobody's missed a practice and all projects have been completed and turned in on time!

Wes said...

I've been to the book store three nights this week while Matthew was at practice. I have like a half dozen "gotta have" cook books and tri books. I'm proud to say I haven't spent a dime...

Life ebbs and flows like a river. Balance is staying on top of the water and not drowning :-)

GoBigGreen said...

You know what i do, that seems to help, is put a post-it in the location where you have to have your little talks. For example, on the mirror in the bathroom or on the cupboard of the kitchen where the cookies live. For me it is all about being Mindful. So i write "Be Mindful in your choices." It doesnt mean i dont eat a cookie or I floss but at least i am thinking about it before i make my decision. It sounds like it takes minutes to do this but as you know we act impusively at times without really thinking about it. ie Mindfulness.
Just a thought.

Marit C-L said...

On the flip side - we're ALL human, and we ALL make mistakes. Life is one long journey - a big learning process. It's okay to make mistakes, but then pick yourself back up, take notice of what happened, and then make the adjustment. It sounds like you're doing a really great job of this! Hooray! Just don't be TOO strict with yourself - because that's no fun either...

Finding the proper balance is great. Everything in moderation - including moderation. :)

Good luck with the butt! I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you! AND - FYI, my PT gave me an ace bandage to wear around my hips - to help my IS soreness. The compression really DOES work. So, perhaps an ace bandage wrapped tightly around your hips would do just the trick. Not exactly the latest of fashion trends - but helpful none theless.

Happy training!

Anonymous said...

Oh Kellye, sadly, this sounds Way Too familiar to me. I can relate to your struggles more than you know ;)

Anonymous said...

Kellye,
Oh, it is TOUGH. I find what helps me the most is learning to say NO. I have my priorites(like we all do) and if they are not within my top X on my list, I say no. So, LOTS OF NOs...to school, to the PTA, to volunteering, to organizing neighborhood progressive dinners (This is a VERY social 'hood!), to NO to coaching more masters teams/times/swim lessons...JUST NO NO NO. I want to do a few things really well like:
1.) be a good mom
2.) be a good wife/friend/sister/daughter, etc.
3.) be a good coach
4.) be a good athlete
And, that is about it. I don't care about my house, about my clothes (well..), about my cars, about too much....and it is easier for me to say NO...and I feel super about it all. My friends all know my priorities - I tell them - so there are no hard feelings when I can not go out with them everynight - THEY are all heading out again tonight!!! So, it is simple for me. But, it took me 10 years to figure it out. GOOD LUCK...you can do it! Jen H. :)

Jennifer Cunnane said...

Love your post - SO right on.... I ask myself these questions all the time!

Eileen Swanson said...

Hi Kellye,
Ah yes, balance is so tough for us all. But things just seem to work and balance themselves out. You are doing so awesome with everything. Just try to relax and know that you are doing the right things.
XO,
E

Beth said...

Hi Kellye! I can identify with your struggles too. You have a lot on your plate and are getting pulled in lots of directions. I'm with Jen though - pick the top priorities in your life (whatever they are) and so NO NO NO to everything else. That way you can focus on what you really want to focus on and have the time to do it right. Easier said than done right?! Regardless, I'm sure you will have it all figured out lickedy split! Have a great day!

Ashley said...

Wow - it's like you wrote my thoughts (minus the mom part). Now, I will have my own voice (along w/ yours as back up) reminding me to make the best choices. Thanks Kellye!

Anonymous said...

This was a really great post Kellye because you are not alone! We all go though this. We try to balance everything, do too much, and eventually we feel like we are failing. I think Jen's right though... sometimes we all just have to say "no more!" You can do it IronMom!

Mel said...

This really is such a struggle trying to maintain balance....Jen is right on...I use to be the biggest neat freak...now I want to be a tri geek on top of being a Mom and Basketball coach and a wife...so well, my house is a mess and I will say na I will do it tomorrow and it never gets done...but I need my time too...so the chores are going to wait and I am finally fine with it!!!!

BreeWee said...

BALANCE! When you got it figured out let me know... I think if you are smiling and your family is healthy and happy you are doing GREAT! Bottom line JOY in life rules over everything that robs you of smiling!

Jen in Budapest said...

I like it! "Do what's right." Thanks Kellye. That's good advice there. It is a daily even hourly struggle sometimes, isn't it? I feel you on the sweet tooth. I'm like WHO AM I??? these past few weeks have been BRUTAL! have you ever heard of magnum bars? I dont think they have them in the states and unfortunately they do have them in Europe. It sucks because they are so delicious and so full of sugar! When I get to thinking long-term, that's what helps me get it together again. Thanks for the post. Do what's right! Great stuff.