? ??????????????Glacier Lake? ????? ?? ???Rating: 4.0 (1 Rating)??1162 Grabs Today. 2040 Total Grabs. ????
??Preview?? | ??Get the Code?? ?? ????????????????????? ??????Halloween Jack? ????? ?? ???Rating: 4.0 (3 Ratings)??297 Grabs Today. 1761 Total Grabs. ??????Preview?? | ??Get the Co BLOGGER TEMPLATES - TWITTER BACKGROUNDS ?

Saturday, March 8, 2008

Sweat Burn and the Power Challenge!!


I've had more than my fair share of sun burn in my life time!!


I've experienced windburn on several occasions!


Carpet Burn even!


But never have I experienced Sweat Burn!!


Well...After 3 LOOOOOONG hours on my trainer on Friday morning, I discovered that is exactly what I had. Well... kind of I guess! :)


Friday was another day of some pretty nasty weather here in the ATL! And if Marit has taught us anything... you do NOT go out in the thunder and lightning!! Especially on a metal piece of equipment! :)


So I prepped Jen in advance and she got me all set to ride for 3 hours indoors for the day. I wasn't TOO flabbergasted, as I've done as much as 2 1/2 lately on it.


I got all set up. And you know I've always thought getting set to ride outdoors is a lot of work...load bike, helmet, shoes, gels, bars, water bottles, drink mix, recovery food, clothes, extra clothes, towels, pump, etc... etc... Well at home for that long is almost just as bad! :) Get dressed, hr monitor, water bottles, towel for floor so carpet in bedroom won't smell like butt when you're done, towel for you, food, and oh yeah... the most important part... set up T.V.!!


Ok... so I'm locked and loaded... The O.C. is flowing away (I finished watching the first season during this training session. Sorry.... it's one of my favorite shows!)


Now is the part I should mention that I will admit that yes... I am a 5' 2'' tall petite girl... but I sweat like a MAN!! A BIG man!! It's kind of gross actually. And a little embarrassing when I'm teaching class and up there dripping puddles!! According to my VO2 Max test, I burn a lot of calories which most likely come from wasted heat energy!! Ok... that explains a lot!! :)


So I'd gotten out 1 hand towel to drape over the aero bars to help control the shower of filth, BUT... I had to get ANOTHER after maybe half way in because that one had gotten soaking wet and was no longer fulfilling it's job as a moisture soaking tool!


Well after finishing my ride, and a short run off the bike... I realized that my lip, nose, and face hurt. I showered and was trying to figure out what was going on. I looked in the mirror to see that the top of my nose is red from being rubbed raw!! And my upper lip is super chapped.


It's from sweating like a stinking hog and using those soaking wet towels to try to mop my face clean!! :) For me... that's a first!


As for the power challenge, there was a triathlon expo here today that I went to to check out. All 3 Sports, an online and local tri company was doing this power challenge on a compu-trainer. A friend of mine works there and said I should do it. I took my shoes, but have never ridden a compu-trainer before and didn't really think it was any sort of big deal or anything so I didn't bring any cycling attire. I almost didn't even do it.


I ended up semi-reluctantly agreeing. Even though I rode in a sweater, jeans, and my shimano shoes!! Now THAT is a fashion statement!! :) And why a sweater... well, I'm one of those people that will wear a bra ONLY if absolutely necessary. Anytime I double-up on shirts or sweaters or anything, there's simply no need. So when I decided to do it and ALREADY started sweating my manly butt off in the warm-up, I went to take my sweater off to remember that I WAS currently bra-less and therefore should probably continue to leave my sweater on though not seemingly wise as to avoid any local embarrassment! When I went to get on the bike they were like... here, take this off. And I had to say that was NOT a good idea! :)


Well.... it ended up being fun. Despite my wardrobe malfunctions!! I didn't even realize until afterwards that it was actually a competition, and that I had come in SECOND!! So of course I was SUPER stoked about my medal, but then I discover I won $100 Gift card to the tri store!!! I told them had I known that... I would have pushed it a little harder! :) First place won a whopping $250. You better believe next year I'm showing up geared up and ready to GO!! And to Danielle who claimed the first place prize... I'm now glad I aged-up this year so I'm not competing again you, you crazy, strong bike lady!!


So overall things are well. LOOOONG hilly run tomorrow! Looking forward to it actually. You'll all be with me while I'm out there I'm sure as I think about my "blogger world!"


Have a good one tomorrow everyone!!

K :)

8 comments:

Wes said...

Wow! You are a power maven!!! Very.cool. Now, exactly how DID you get that rug burn ;-) and the whole bra thing? TMI!! TMI!!!! :-)

Danielle said...

It was great to meet you Kellye and congrats on second! Too funny about the sweat burn, I have never heard of that before! Next year we'll have to try even harder, word probably got out about the power challenge already!

Pedergraham said...

Way to win some money, Kellye. You made me giggle this morning. And, kudos for you for a three hour indoor ride! (And glad you could watch what you wanted and not kiddo shows!)
-Danielle

Mira (Ivanovich) Lelovic said...

I have the same "sweat" problem! And I can already tell my 6 year old son will have it too. Way to go for 3 hours on the trainer. I would have died of boredom.

Trigirlpink said...

Women don't sweat, they just glisten and you just glisten a bit more is all...
lol..
Congrats on your CT Cash windfall!!
eh... and 3 hours on a trainer?? Yikes.... that is mentally tough tough tough.

Anonymous said...

YEAHHHH Kellye! Nice job "getting her done" on the Trainer when the weather didn't cooperate! It will ALL pay off! :) Jen H.

Brooke Myers said...

Pure dedication with the trainer there...Nice work!

As long as you don't smell like a stinky old man then the sweating like a hog is okay (I say that because I smell when I sweat so it has to be okay))...ha ha
I think most of us tri -girls sweat a little more than the average.

You have a great week Kellye and a nice looonnnnngggg hilly run!!!

Marit C-L said...

Had to laugh at your blog! It never ceases to amaze me how long it takes to get the trainer prepped. But saftey comes first... lightning is NOT your friend.

Neither are sharks.

Or alligators.

Or snakes

Or anything that has the potential to kill/harm/maim/hurt you (not in that order). :)

I too sweat like a pig on the bike. Indoors is the worst - more towels for you, my dear!

Sweet on the computrainer. Jeans, sweater and no bra. Yikes! Now that's a photo worth 1,000 words.

Excellent job on the hilly run!