? ??????????????Glacier Lake? ????? ?? ???Rating: 4.0 (1 Rating)??1162 Grabs Today. 2040 Total Grabs. ????
??Preview?? | ??Get the Code?? ?? ????????????????????? ??????Halloween Jack? ????? ?? ???Rating: 4.0 (3 Ratings)??297 Grabs Today. 1761 Total Grabs. ??????Preview?? | ??Get the Co BLOGGER TEMPLATES - TWITTER BACKGROUNDS ?

Thursday, March 27, 2008

My Split Personalities



Before all of my extra money went to aero helmets, race wheels, coaches, and swim classes.... I was very much into being a Fashion Diva... or at least trying to be one! :)


Shoes, clothes, purses, jewelery, Instyle Magazine... You name it.... if they sell it at Nordstrom, I loved it!!


I've always enjoyed getting dressed up. It was my hobby in high school! :)


I know what you're thinking... I was that Mean Girls B#$%# in high school all stuck up and snobby. But I swear I don't think I was. I never put other's down for having less or thought of myself as a better person because my purse cost more or anything like that.


I swear... It's an inherited gene. If you set out 5 items all VERY similar in color, consistency, and style and ask me to chose which I like best, I will undoubtedly pick the item that is most expensive. I have no idea why!!


Plus... it is not my imagination that I tend to like things that are more simplistic in style and I swear the knock-off versions try to make up for their savings in cost by making the items SOOOO gaudy!


Now, I've always been a bargain shopper. I don't like to buy things simply BECAUSE they're expensive. I'm TOTALLY ok with saving money and getting a good deal. I'm just not near as good at it as others! :)


And again, I've got my girlie side, and I like the pretty little things. I'm the type that would rather spend $100 on a skirt that I LOVE from Anthropologie than 10 that I think are ok from somewhere else. But I will tell you that one of my favorite bargain places is Forever 21 where you can buy cute trendy clothes that are in style now, but won't be for long and get them super cheap!! AND H & M is coming to Atlanta this summer that I'm super excited about because they're supposed to be a Fashionista's bargain dream!!


Well... since getting into triathlon a year and a half ago... I would say 95% of my extra money has gone into all tri stuff! I have even made attempts to reconnect with my inner-girlie girl as I specifically said I wanted non-tri stuff for Christmas and then ended up putting a new swimsuit and goggles, recovery slippers, arm warmers, etc. on my Christmas list!!


I'll even admit that I paid for my first bike by returning a brand new Chanel purse that I'd just bought. Oh... It was beautiful!! I've ALWAYS wanted one. It's my one special item that I seriously hope to one day cherish. BUT.. I broke down and took it back to embark on this tri journey... a decision I definitely do NOT regret.


However, I was walking Mr. Rocky Pug yesterday, and my neighbor Cara is currently having her brother-in-law and his wife stay with them since they just moved to the Atlanta area and they're getting settled in. Well I saw the wife hop out of the car and head into the house when it hit me... She's really cute!


I looked down at my adidas clad pants self with a race t-shirt on. No makeup, my hair pulled back into my everyday hair-do of a bun, and flip-flops. At least my toenails were painted!!


I thought, "Oh God!! I look like CRAP! And not just today. This is my daily attire!!"


So though I'm ok with being more athletic these days than a little miss priss! :) I COULD step it up a notch!


Thank goodness Summer and warm weather is on it's way because I can get away with being comfortable AND cute a little more!!


Why can't Zoot make a cute pump that won't ruin your feet??? :)


So here's to be more of the cute Nike girl and not the bum off of the street! :)


Have a great day everyone!

K :)

9 comments:

Lauren Starks said...

I have been dealing with the same issue recently - trying to 'cuten' (is that even a word!?) up my gym attire & look less like "a tired, full-time working mom of four who really thought wearing gym clothes *all* the time was cute" other times.

Hey, I'm a work in progress

Anonymous said...

Oh I am so in the same boat Kellye. Sometimes I wonder if my poor husband ever gets to see me in anything that's not workout/triathlon related. What happened to the days of 3" heels? They were replaced by countless pair of running shoes, biking shoes, and compressions socks! Is is bad when my daughter says "Please not another race shirt Mom."

It's hard to balance the athlete and the girly-girl! When you find the secret..do share!

Mel said...

Hum....I have always been a girlie type girl....You will never see me in running shoes unless I am running or some other sport that requires running shoes........I am a sweat pants type girl but they have to be cute ones (not just the standard ones) with a cute shirt and no tennies....I will wear flip flops or uggs!!!....I am a HUGE bargain shopper...will not buy unless super cheap or on sale.....($100.00 for a skirt NEVER :) Maybe I need to get a little more sporty :)

I think you look great!!!!

Anonymous said...

Ha! I think we are all the same way. JUST this morning I was at the gym and putting on my clothes from swimming - and I realized that I saw this exact same FRIEND yesterday at the GYM (we were picking up kids from a class) in the SAME EXACT outfit - army cargo pants (LUCKY brand - see I am a bit of a snob, i guess) and a North Face (see, there I go again) zipper cool thing (remember, it is snowing here still)...and I said, "Oh crap, I was in THIS yesterday on my way to swimming and I am in it AGAIN after swimming again." I need a life. hee hee :) Jen H.
PS I would MUCH rather buy 1 thing that I will wear for $100++ than a bunch of crap. I am with you on that one.

Danni said...

I know the feeling exactly! I am more of a "clothes need to be comfy" person. That leaves me wearing cargo pants and t-shirts. I have found a cool online store that sells, cute active wear clothes. It's called Athleta and maybe you should check it out... I definitely like most of their outfits... I think they have the perfect combo of girly and athletic!

Pedergraham said...

Kellye:
I am so unfashionable that I am barely aware of it...I need to hire you to be my personal shopper if we ever move out of Vermont and I need to wear clothes that are not made out of fleece!
Post up some pictures of you all styled up. I think I have only seen Tri-Kellye on your blog, not Fashionable-Kellye.
-Danielle

Smithposts... said...

Here's to longing for expensive handbags and asking for new swim goggles!

Wes said...

ALL tri-chicas are HAWT, especially in designer clothes :-)

Danielle said...

I am totally there with you. When I dry my hair for schools the guys act like I am a totally different person. Back in the "old" days I wouldn't have dreamed of walking out of my house the way I do most days now. Ugh. Triathlon makes you not feel so pretty sometimes!