? ??????????????Glacier Lake? ????? ?? ???Rating: 4.0 (1 Rating)??1162 Grabs Today. 2040 Total Grabs. ????
??Preview?? | ??Get the Code?? ?? ????????????????????? ??????Halloween Jack? ????? ?? ???Rating: 4.0 (3 Ratings)??297 Grabs Today. 1761 Total Grabs. ??????Preview?? | ??Get the Co BLOGGER TEMPLATES - TWITTER BACKGROUNDS ?

Thursday, March 20, 2008

A Disruption in the Universe

(This is a picture of the tornado in Atlanta this past weekend. Creepy isn't it??)

I swear, it literally seems like this past weekend the winds shifted and the world just went awry. So many really bad things happened this weekend that it seriously just seems odd.


Between lots of illness, my father and another family member of Blogger friend Jennifer having Heart Attacks, Marit's Bike accident, her husband Nathaniel's flight instructor's tragic crash, a seriously odd tornado in the middle of downtown Atlanta, my neighbor's brother being hit by a drunk driver.... and it seems like daily I've been hearing of these terrible incidents occurring over the weekend.


Let's all hope that the winds will once again change in the direction of the positive and hopefully one weekend soon we'll all be blogging about winning the lottery, new babies being born, and positive miracles happening all over the place! :)


As many of you know, Marit is doing well. She's been through a lot, but to talk to her, she is so exceptionally positive. She even offered me support from her for my father's issues, which goes to show that she is always thinking of others and I believe she recognizes just how lucky she really is. She's an awesome individual who will heal so well and strong because of her conviction and her support, and I'm honestly honored to be apart of that and help her in any way that I can!


Though Gracie ended up having to stay home from school today for having a visit to the porcelain goddess, I believe the bug has made it's run through our household and is on it's way out. She was fine other than being a little grumpier than usual today, so tomorrow should be back to the normal Cooper and Gracie schedules. :)


You may have been wondering about my Dad. I haven't updated until now because up to this point there has been no news. It was determined that he did NOT suffer from a stroke but did indeed have a second heart attack. His first was 8 years ago and since has had angioplasty 2 times totaling 4 stints in the back artery of his heart opening that area up. After stabilizing his blood pressure and kidneys over the past couple of days, they were able to do a heart cauterization today to determine what exactly the problem was. That particular artery being held up by 4 stints had collapsed, which caused the heart attack. His collateral's took over thank goodness saving him from a massive heart attack, which would have been fatal. His kidneys are now functioning much better, but the jury is still out as to if medication is the answer to that.


Its been difficult the past couple of days because he's been in a hospital in Carrollton, Georgia, which is about an hour outside of Atlanta. I've lived all over these parts of Georgia since I was born and without meaning to offend anyone, am EXTREMELY biased towards the big city hospitals. I've honestly never known anyone to have a good experience at the hospital in LaGrange, Georgia, which is in the Carrollton vicinity. And the other hospital in the area, Newnan, no one even attempts to go to because it has such a bad reputation. We didn't even want to take him to the Carrollton hospital, but when someone is suffering from a fatal issue like that, you'd rather not take the extra 45 min to make it to downtown.


However, the recommendation received from the Cardio Surgeon today doing his procedure was to NOT do anything. He said that the collaterals would be fine in maintaining the functioning of his heart. That he believed my Dad would be ok from suffering from any other heart attacks for at least another year or two and though he may be affected by being much more fatigued, his recommendation was for my Dad to sit down and take it more easy!!


Well... I thought that was RIDICULOUS!! I mean who tells the family of a loved one that their dad had a heart attack and his cure was to sit down when he got tired??? Where did this guy get his degree?? And besides, though his collaterals may allow his heart to function for another year or two, they are extremely small blood vessels. My dad is Diabetic. The vessels will not be able to maintain proper functioning for an extended period of time and if they ever DO fail well they ARE the back up system. Therefore my Dad WOULD suffer a massive heart attack and it would be all over in the blink of an eye. And though he may be ok with allowing my Dad to walk back into the world with a clearance of a year or two, he's 63, I'm not even 30, and I'd like for him to be around for a much longer time than that!!


So... we insisted that he be transferred to Peidmont in Atlanta. Even if they tell us the exact same thing, at least I'll know it was coming from people that have the right equipment to do everything they can do, and they KNOW what they're talking about!!


So he is being transferred in the morning. And hopefully we can get some answers BEFORE another 4 days go by.


Sorry for the rant, but it's my Daddy!! I've only got one! :)


I'll keep you posted on the updates, and again, I am CERTAIN that the winds are changing and positive air is on it's way!! :)


Happy Good Friday to everyone tomorrow!!

K :)

11 comments:

Danielle said...

Good idea on the transfer to another hospital....Emory or Piedmont would be best for cardiology. Smaller hospitals just don't have the same amount of doctors to consult with. Yes, it has been a really weird week. My own family suffered a tragedy with my cousin getting killed in a motorcycle accident. Odd things just keep happening!

Pedergraham said...

Kellye:
Good for you. You are doing the absolute right thing with your dad. Hope Gracie is better right away. Sending you strenght to keep pushing on the medical establishment re: your dad.
-Danielle "Pedergraham"

Beth said...

Hey Kellye!! Good for you for standing up and being an advocate for your father. The transfer to another hospital for a 2nd opinion is so wise. I always feel so badly for those patients that don't have someone to make decisions like that for them. And like you said, if you get the same opinion, well then you will know for sure. Your father and family are in my prayers and thoughts. Take care of yourself Kellye and I hope the little ones get healthy too!

Wes said...

Damn right transfer him to Piedmont. You guys are some smart cookies. Atlanta has been short on good Karma this past week or so... Sorry to hear you have been through so much. I've been following Marit's ordeal through the blogs, and I'm glad she is going to fully recover!!

Hang in there, chica! This too shall pass...

Trigirlpink said...

You are doing the right thing. Goodness.. what a comment from a doctor. Have him sit down a rest more???? DING DING DING!!! RED FLAG!!!! Being from the Boston area, we are blessed with good hospital/ specialty care and take it for granted I guess.
Keep us posted. :-)

Mel said...

If something just does not sound right and doesn't ease your mind....always get a second opinion, really this is someones life we are talking about....dufus doctor :) Hope the kids are already for the Easter bunny and are feeling upbeat !!!!

JustMe said...

You are SO right about "getting the hell out of Dodge (i.e., Carrollton). I think my Dad would have died in December if his vascular surgeon at Emory had not ORDERED them to put him in an ambulance and return him to Emory University Hospital! He had a BAD staph infection and Tanner had no idea that they were in WAY OVER THEIR HEADS. You did the right thing. That big "cardiac center" at Tanner is just a huge PR ploy, in my opinion.

Smithposts... said...

Good decision to keep pushing for the right answers for your Dad! Hang in there, the ill winds will blow out of Atlanta soon!

Mira (Ivanovich) Lelovic said...

I am glad to hear your dad is doing well, and SO glad you are transferring him to a bigger hospital with more experienced physicians. Even if the second opinion is the same, at least you'll have gotten it. Hope you and your family have a good Easter and that Gracie is feeling better for the Easter bunny!

Jennifer Cunnane said...

Crazy out there! Similar experience to my family the last week - note my post on my mother in law here in Naples, FL. It's great that he has you to look out for him, just think of all the years your parents helped you out! Now you get to return the favor - keep advocating!

Anonymous said...

Yeah, Kellye! I would have done the SAME Thing - our parents need us! Keep us posted on how he is doing. Jen H.