? ??????????????Glacier Lake? ????? ?? ???Rating: 4.0 (1 Rating)??1162 Grabs Today. 2040 Total Grabs. ????
??Preview?? | ??Get the Code?? ?? ????????????????????? ??????Halloween Jack? ????? ?? ???Rating: 4.0 (3 Ratings)??297 Grabs Today. 1761 Total Grabs. ??????Preview?? | ??Get the Co BLOGGER TEMPLATES - TWITTER BACKGROUNDS ?

Saturday, December 29, 2007

How I became a Tri-geek!

The story of how I became a tri-geek goes a little more quickly than some! A lot of people begin with a sprint and build their way up from there. Patience is not one of my strongest points, so it didn't go quite that way for me!

As I've mentioned before, I fell in-love with running back in college as a weight loss tool. At my heaviest I would strive to walk on the treadmill for 30-45 min 3 days/week. From there, I slowly built my way up to where I would run for 5-10 min at a time. I remember one night all of my friends were busy studying, and I was bored so I decided to go to the gym. I ended up running that night for 30 min straight and was so proud of myself!

I spent the next 7 years running for the joy of it and to help keep in shape, with a 2 year walk restriction during the whole having babies process! I never really ran competitively during that time. I ran the Peachtree Road Race twice, but again just mostly for fun. I'd notice if I did a run a little more quickly than I had before or if I'd come in from doing some of the major hills in my neighborhood without feeling like I was going to cough up a lung. :) Once I finally got back into running after having Gracie, I spent 2 years doing it behind a double baby jogger. Talk about an amazing workout!

However, the runs with the kids became more like really short intervals as I spent the majority of my time breaking up fights and picking up all of the MANY things that were "accidentally" dropped into the street. Therefore, I made a decision to once again join a gym in Jan. of 2006 for the luxury of childcare!

I decided to take a spin class because I'd always wanted to. Plus, I'd heard that it was great strength training for runners. After about 5 RPM classes, I was addicted. To the point that I sought my own certification and began teaching classes the summer of 2006. In the meantime I started purchasing cycling shoes and shorts from a local bike shop. I couldn't help but to look at the bikes too!

I also was doing a lot of running at the time with a friend of mine, Kaye Anne, who had said that she was going to do the Acworth Women's Sprint Triathlon. I signed up for it at the beginning of June of 2006 with the intention of using my mountain bike!! By the end of June I decided that though many people do their first several tris on a mt. bike, it obviously isn't the ideal. So, I ordered a Giant TCR Road Bike, Hot Pink! I LOVED it! It came in right after July 4th, and on only my 2nd ride ever, a friend of mine took me out on the 27 mile loop at the Bud Plant in Cartersville. We tried to run afterwards for my first Brick, but I didn't even make it a mile! I had no idea that your legs are supposed to feel like Bricks!

So, I "trained" for my 15 mile bike ride followed by my 3 mile run and went to the pool a couple of times. Ended up missing that triathlon in August of 2006 because I got sick, but signed up for an International Distance one at Callaway Gardens that took place on Labor Day weekend of 2006 and was hooked! Then my friend, Amy Stewart, talked me into doing the Olympic Tugaloo Triathlon just a few weeks later. It was only a little longer than an international :) It hurt like hell, but from there I knew I was into this tri thing for awhile!
(Me on my Giant in my first Triathlon!)

That concluded my 2006 "season", which I don't even count :) I hired a personal swim coach, kept running and biking, and decided to make 2007 my kick-off season! I started meeting with Carole Sharpless in January of 2007 with the intention of going for the half. I did prep for the Florida 70.3, but somewhere in March I decided I was going for the gold and started making plans for Florida Ironman 2007!

So... in 8 months time I went from planning on riding a mt. bike in my very first triathlon to getting a cervelo, coach, swimming in a masters class and signing up for a Full Ironman!! It was NUTS!! But I was IN-LOVE with the sport and determined to go for it!!

Fortunately, I guess I can say it all worked out! And though it did go fast, I did at least wait long enough to be sure I knew I'd stick with it before making that god-awful initial investment!!

Let's just hope that my "progress" for the 2008 season can move so quickly!

Best of Luck to everyone in the New Year!!

K :)

2 comments:

BreeWee said...

LOVE it! I think I am inspired to use your post idea for a post of my own! Thanks! BUT anyways, I love your story and relate... by the way, the silly smile and tilted head in a first triathlon photo is classic! I would never post my first race photo on the bike! DORKY! Way to go and I hope only the BEST to you on an even better 08 and some faster times, more fun, quicker splits, better training, no injuries, and tons of motivation!
I got your back and will be one of your cheerleaders all 08!

Happy New Year Kellye!!

Wes said...

That's an amazing story and quite an accomplishment to go sub-12 in your first "real" season of doing triathlons. Hope you have an amazing 2008 :-)