? ??????????????Glacier Lake? ????? ?? ???Rating: 4.0 (1 Rating)??1162 Grabs Today. 2040 Total Grabs. ????
??Preview?? | ??Get the Code?? ?? ????????????????????? ??????Halloween Jack? ????? ?? ???Rating: 4.0 (3 Ratings)??297 Grabs Today. 1761 Total Grabs. ??????Preview?? | ??Get the Co BLOGGER TEMPLATES - TWITTER BACKGROUNDS ?

Thursday, June 5, 2008

A Tour of the Big Island with the World's Best Tour Guide!!


I LOVE to travel, as most people do! But people definitely travel in different fashions…

You’ve got people like me that see pictures and hear stories of places and decide that I would love to go there some day. You have an opportunity arise that sets you that way and off you go!!

Then you have those who travel like Adam! He does not simply just travel… he experiences to the FULL capacity! And I love it!

I guess in a way you could say that I’m spoiled because I’m fortunate enough that he pretty much takes care of everything.

I made the decision to do Hawaii 70.3 and trained for the race…. Adam handled everything else!

He booked all of the flight arrangements, took care of shipping my bike (which has been a bit of a roller coaster J), reserved a great place for us to stay, etc. All pretty normal type stuff, but stuff I didn’t have to worry about which of course made it very nice!

BUT…. It goes even further than that because Adam doesn’t visit places, we explore them! And without his seriously studying everything about the Big Island from where to stay to their history and culture, I would have never had the trip that we had!

Here’s some stuff we learned/visited while we were on our “Power vacation!”

Through my walking Hawaiian encyclopedia, aka… Adam… I can now tell you where the shaka hand symbol legend proclaims it comes from.

I can tell you all about the type of warrior and King that Kamehameha's was and how the islands were united and in what time frame. About their laws and customs and that there is a place of refuge on the island that if you had committed a crime if you could get there before you were captured and perform certain rituals you were forgiven of your crime and free to reenter the city.

I can tell you all about why there is a stone wall surrounding some of the beach areas on the Kona shore.

I can tell you where the best places to snorkel in Kona are where you can swim side by side with sea turtles! And the fact that the Hawaiian state fish is the Humuhumunukunuku'apua'a and where to go see one!!

I can tell you that the fish ponds at the Mauna Lani resort where the 70.3 race takes place are actually King Kamaheamahea’s personal fish ponds that have been there since he had them created and have been preserved for that reason.

I can tell you what it is like to race on the Big Island on a day when conditions are that of Big Island classic harsh and testing. And how you cannot really be upset by it but grow to have more respect for the island, what it provides, and for the people who willingly test their strength and courage against it.

I can tell you where the most beautiful waterfall and tropical locations are on the Northern side of the island outside of the lava covered Kona areas.

I can tell you where the lava flow is currently coming into ocean, which is continuing to add size to the giant Big Island. I can tell you about previous lava flow which comes down the side of Kileuea , the worlds most active volcano which is erupting now and has been since1983!

The current lava flow is actually coming into the ocean outside of the caldera through what is called a Lava Tube. Something I had no idea would be near as big as it turned out to be as we walked through a lava tube that was no longer in use! AND that these tubes were created by the lava themselves as lava flowed and cooled continuously and formed these giant tubes!

I can tell you all about the Caldera and that is emitting toxic sulfur gas from the top and has doubled in its height since the lava flow was originally erupting from the top. Oh… and did I mention that I even knew to wipe my sunglasses and camera off after visiting the top of Mt. Kileuea as of course Adam had already read all about how the gases could erode the lenses if you did not!!

I can share with you my very favorite part of the trip about visiting the ancient petroglyphs down near the ocean level of Mt. Kileuea where ancient families and today’s ancestors visit the lava field to carve images of their families and culture and dig small holes to place their children’s umbilical cords in to honor them and pray to the Gods that they may have a prosperous and long life. This was by far one of the most special moments on our visit as we were standing in a field of complete devastation where lava covered the side of a giant erupting volcano while overlooking the ocean and no noise or movement besides that of the strong winds and the blowing of the trees that were popping up through the lava… a sign that life is once again beginning. It was a very spiritual place and a moment I couldn’t help but feel would stay with me forever.

I can tell you that there are actually two different types of lava and the rock graffiti that you see in the lava fields is a tradition of people to place the white coral rocks in to mark their coming to the island!

I could go on and on of the island stories that Adam shared with me as we toured this island. We spent our last full day literally driving along the entire island shoreline for 333 miles to capture every essence that we could of the Big Island in one day’s time.

Because of the fact that Adam is such a planner and researcher… we were able to fit it all in!

Of course there were a few things that I didn’t get to experience this time around… but that just leaves room for my next visit!

Until then….

Aloha and Mahalo!!

9 comments:

Wes said...

Freaking awesome :-)

Danielle said...

I am SO jealous of your trip because it looks like you guys had so much fun! What a great way to recover from the race!

Jen said...

K...What an awesome trip! You're lucky that Adam is such a great planner. This picture -----> on my profile is that "HI style grafitti" that you spoke about in your post.

I loved the big island and hope to get back there one day...I am hoping to get a surfing lesson from Bree's son when I get there :)

Kevin said...

What great pictures. Looks like an amazing time was had

BreeWee said...

What an awesome AWESOME post! Adam and you were so cute... glad I got to see you even for 14 seconds!

Your trip actually makes me want to go outside and go exploring...ha ha, can I borrow Adam for my tour!

Your love and appreciation for the island is so amazing, you would do well here and I wish more people had the respect for this place that you both have!

Enjoy the rest of your season and Clearwater will be a breeze for you after your adventure here!

I love the photos too, way cute, I bet your children wanted to be here... hope you brought them home something cool!

Mel said...

sounds like a amazing trip...Glad you got to EXPLORE :) Now back to the madness!!!!

Pedergraham said...

Kellye:
What a great trip. I'm glad that you have a sidekick who is also a tourguide. Enjoy your recovery!!!
-Danielle

Marit C-L said...

Oh - this is awesome! I can totally see Adam doing the things that he did! That is SO COOL! After Bree finishes with him, can I borrow him??? :) Sounds like you guys had a BLAST! Thanks for the incredible lessons - you made it seem even more magical - wonderful!

Jen in Budapest said...

Your Adam is a keeper! What a lil' pearl of wisdom He is. Awesome Kellye that you experienced all of that. I snorkeled in Kona but never made it to the volcanic side of the Island. Wished I would have that would have been cool!! Kellye, I'm proud of ya! You did it! You are amazing really.