? ??????????????Glacier Lake? ????? ?? ???Rating: 4.0 (1 Rating)??1162 Grabs Today. 2040 Total Grabs. ????
??Preview?? | ??Get the Code?? ?? ????????????????????? ??????Halloween Jack? ????? ?? ???Rating: 4.0 (3 Ratings)??297 Grabs Today. 1761 Total Grabs. ??????Preview?? | ??Get the Co BLOGGER TEMPLATES - TWITTER BACKGROUNDS ?

Tuesday, May 27, 2008

"You Make Me Vroom!"


Well it is as if my body decided to DEMAND recovery....


I kept saying I was going to, and saying it, and finally... Well my body decided to quit on me! :)


See... when you build up to your peak weak and your working out like crazy (or at least my kind of crazy :) , and then you move into your taper week where you're not dealing with the volume, but you're still cranking out the intensity, THEN your kids go 4-5 days of waking you up all throughout the night so you get VERY little sleep, and you spend your days running around like a mad woman... your body, or at least my body, decided to stop waiting on me to get around to recovering and take matters into it's own hands...


And so I got sick!


Yep... spent the weekend laid up in the bed. It hit me on Friday when I posted my last blog. I could feel it coming and KNEW I needed to start being proactive about it. So I called Jen, and of course I took the day off from workouts, but it was the last day of school and things were still pretty busy.


Saturday I felt better, so proceeded cautiously... I PROMISE... Did only a swim, even went and got a pedicure!! It's my ultimate in relaxation!! Adam and I had dinner reservations at this really nice Thai restaurant downtown. He works with a really nice lady, Ming, who gave us a gift certificate there because she works there on the weekends. It was SOOO nice! The food was excellent! And therefore I got my toes done beforehand to help me look all pretty! :)


Well if you read my coach's blog, Jen H., she recently wrote a blog about race rituals...She wrote some of hers and asked people to comment about theirs. Well one of mine is I always paint my toes a color corresponding to the race that I'm doing. Why??? Who knows!! hee hee!! I mean they have to be painted, so I might as well make it as difficult of a decision as possible, right? :)


Examples... Ironman Florida, my toes were Orange.


St. Anthony's.... pink... not really sure why... pink just seemed "beachy"


So when I was planning my Hawaii race, of course the color of my toes had to be thought out in great depth! My first thought of color when it comes to Hawaii is RED. I did second guess this thinking maybe a more tropical color is suiting, but when I was picking out my polish color at the nail salon I started to read the names of the colors for some reason. I was looking at reds and pinks and when I picked up a red color that's name was "You Make Me Vroom" I thought it was a sign!! I mean how perfect of a color is that!! I even bought an extra bottle to take with me for touch ups because I need as much of that Vroom in this paint color as possible!!


So after a so-so day on Saturday, I woke up on Sunday feeling like complete and total crap! I laid in bed all Sunday and all Monday except for a short little run on Monday because HELLO... I'm freaking out about the fact that I am racing in less than a week and I had been sick.


But... I have been a good girl... I've Rested, and Rested, and Rested!! Trying to take it as easy as possible and didn't even do my swim today because of all of the running around I had to do to get ready to leave town tomorrow.


So hopefully it will be a good thing. You know I'm one of those everything happens for a reason people, and maybe this was a good thing to literally knock me on my butt and keep me from being my usual crazy person this past week heading into Hawaii!


I DID squeeze in a trip to the nail salon today to let Gracie get her nails painted. Normally I do it myself, but the girl put little flowers and butterflies on her hands and feet, and my daughter thought that she was truly the most beautiful thing ever, which of course she was! :)


So now that the packing is done... the kids are situated... the chores are done... I think it just may start to sink in that I'm actually going tomorrow! I honestly don't think it's hit me quite just yet!


Thank you all for all of your well wishes and sweet thoughts!! I'll keep you posted when I'm in the middle of the pacific, and wish me, Bree, Brooke, and everyone else for great weather, fast legs, and a good spirit into the weekend!!

K :)

11 comments:

kerrie said...

that is an awesome name for a color! you know, i have never gotten my nails done but i may have to try now;). fwiw, i almost always get sick when i taper - i think it is our body's natural response to reducing stress on it for some reason. it's okay - you'll get it out of your system and be good to go by this weekend!

Lauren Starks said...

I love the color! Good luck with the race! I can't wait to read the race report

Wes said...

You make me Vroom

I luv that!!! I always get a hair cut the week before the race. Ya know. When you are an age grouper, its all about how you look :-)

Safe travels! I'll be ringing my cow bell from Woodstock, GA!! Woot!!!

Beth said...

Okay, I don't think I've EVER painted my nails before BUT I might have to start now with a nail polish name like that!! ;)

Best of luck Kellye! You won't even think twice about being sick once you are on that start line. It will be all vroooooooommmmm!! Have fun!! I'll be thinking of you guys!

Ashley said...

BEAUTIFUL toes my dear. Red=speed. Perfect choice. Hope the R&R is going well. Get better.

kerri said...

Love the toe painting thing. Mine have been painted black or dark blue for quite a while . Think I need a brighter color change. No worries about your race. Your work is/has been done... and the rest will you when you need the mojo the most. good luck!!!

Mel said...

Oh keep me posted on the Vroom polish and see if it WORKS...You might be onto something...now my mind is working like crazy to come up with something to make $$$$ off of...
Have a safe trip and take TONS of photo's I will be cheering loud for you :)

Jennifer Cunnane said...

I am so excited for you! Good luck in Hawaii I think the taper for being sick although unintentional is a good thing. Your mind needs to "taper" any ways before a race, especially if you keep the schedule like you do! I also do the pedicure pre-race ritual - every time, my daughter joins me and thinks it is a prerequisite to competed in triathlons

BreeWee said...

I LOVE the color, maybe I will pull a twinsy with you and go red, I kinda like brighter though... BUT you pull red off good!

SAFE flight, so excited for you to get here & your bike is here just in case you are wondering! At least I think it is yours, I saw a small Cervelo in shop today when I picked up my bike...looks fast! Must be yours...!!

BreeWee said...

I just checked all my emails and I don't have your number... darn, maybe I deleted it... I have to go to Bike Works too in the morning so let me know what time you plan to go and I will try to go at that hour so I can see you. AND don't buy bars or gels, that is what I am picking up and I have 4 boxes waiting for me so I can totally share if you need any!!!

Danni said...

Good luck Kellye!!!
I will be rooting for you from here! LOVE the red color on your toes.