? ??????????????Glacier Lake? ????? ?? ???Rating: 4.0 (1 Rating)??1162 Grabs Today. 2040 Total Grabs. ????
??Preview?? | ??Get the Code?? ?? ????????????????????? ??????Halloween Jack? ????? ?? ???Rating: 4.0 (3 Ratings)??297 Grabs Today. 1761 Total Grabs. ??????Preview?? | ??Get the Co BLOGGER TEMPLATES - TWITTER BACKGROUNDS ?

Tuesday, May 13, 2008

10 Feet Tall and Bullet Proof!


This is what Adam says I think of myself as. I'm 5' 2'', 120lb, but I don't see myself that way! :)


I guess that's what Rocky and I have in common. He wouldn't classify himself as a small dog. Oh.. No... He considers himself to fit right in with the big ones!


Not that I think I'm big and bad. :) I just always seem to overestimate my capabilities. Or at least aim for the higher stuff. That can be a good thing. But it does tend to catch up with me sometimes.


This is the usual progression....


I had Cooper... 11 months later had Gracie.... I always knew I wanted to be a stay-at-home mom, but being that I like to shop and participate in one of the most expensive hobbies out there, I also like to make extra money.


I've tried tutoring, working at a coffee shop. I teach my spin classes. Anything that I can squeeze in here and there not only for a little extra cash, but also because I think it's fun! I like a lot of different things. But I also like to go for things all out. So sometimes I lose track of the balancing part of things!


Well about a year and a half ago I started working at the restaurant as the Special Events Coordinator. After about 10 months of travelling an hour and a half each way back and forth from there a couple of times a week and cramming in a full-time job with trying to stay home and do everything I was doing, I knew it was too much. So fortunately last October, I cut back to more of a part-time basis.


However, I've been a stay-at-home mother, the primary caretaker of our household (although Adam really does help out A LOT around the house, so I will definitely give him props! :), working part-time for the restaurant, now working part-time for PT Solutions as a trainer, continuing to teach my spin classes, and then Team mom for the baseball team and ballet classes, mixed in with my training, my own personal physical therapy, etc., etc., etc....


I enjoy all of these things! And the problem is that looking at any of them singularly, I think, "Oh it's not that much." But in the adding it all together process, I've found myself completely overwhelmed and burnt-out!


I feel like one of those people trying to balance 100 plates in the air and that they're all about to come down and crash! :)


I also HATE being bad at stuff. I know that sounds retarded, but I hate knowing that I could be better at something if I were able to devote more time to it. So I'd honestly rather be really good at a few of these things than mediocre at all of them.


Honestly though Summer is here in less than 2 weeks!! We wrapped up ballet yesterday. Baseball wraps up this weekend, and May has been a super busy month at the restaurant. Friday night I actually even had to waitress! It was fun to a certain degree in the fact that it's something I've actually never done.


What stunk is after getting up at 4:45am on Friday morning to go to Masters, then onto a 3:30 somewhat intense ride, then hurry to pick up the kids to get home, change, and then head out. I sat in traffic for no lie... 3 HOURS!! to get from my house to the restaurant!! Some accident on 85 North left 3 lanes closed down and so I could have gotten there faster if I'd have walked I think! But after all of that, I worked for almost 4 hours waiting on a rehearsal dinner that we'd planned and I ended up having to help out because Bob and I had a miscommunication with the events, double-booked the room accidentally, and we were short on staff. So we had to do what we had to do. I left there close to 10pm having had no dinner. I was starving, tired, and had to drive 1:15 home to go to bed so that I could get up on Sat. run for almost 2 hours and go through the entire busy weekend that progressed.


I thought when the weekend finally came to an end that I was almost free and clear. I kept telling myself to just get through this next week and then I'd taper for Honu and ballet and baseball would be over and we'd be almost through this crazy month at the restaurant. But yesterday I was a HUGE B$$CH! I found myself snapping at the kids a lot. I was grumpy and tired, and when I get like this I eat like crap, which of course makes things worse.


All and all, I decided last night that I needed a break! I want this summer to be a true summer break. I am going to be travelling quite a bit, and therefore I'm going to have to trim some fat. So no extras for the entire month of June and July. And as much as I hate to do it, I am going to have to cut back on some of my part-time jobs. I don't want a full-time job, nor do I have the time for one, and if you have 3 or more part-time jobs, I think it's almost equivalent! :)


I'm anxious to focus on the personal training and start building that business. I want to be able to devote the time and energy needed in doing that especially as I prepare to get my USAT Coaching certification.


So, I'm starting today in readjusting my schedule to make life and me flow a little more easily!


I know that sometimes emails or blogs don't always convey the tone of the message appropriately and so I wanted to reiterate that this is a REALLY good thing for me! It takes a lot for me to back down some. Because as I'd stated earlier... I'm 10 feet tall and bullet proof and apparently thinK that I'm some sort of superwoman that can handle any and everything. As I know a lot of you people out there operate! So it's good for me to back down and take a breather. At least for now!


Hopefully some of these new decisions will help me go into Honu feeling less overloaded!


So thanks for reading. I hope everyone has a day in which they get to really enjoy the things they do!

K :)

10 comments:

Danielle said...

Which USAT certification class are you attending? I am hoping that they add more in this area-October is the closest one and I would hate to fly to get to a class!

I know how you feel (minus the kids and husband part) I always say yes and end up doing way too much at any given time too. I just turned down two clients because I knew it would interfere with my IM training. I hated to do it, but I am dedicating the rest of the summer to being selfish!

Wes said...

As someone who is uber busy, I'm right there with ya chica! Who wants to be mediocre at a lot of things? People see you as mediocre!! Trim the excess, find balance, focus on the things you really love to do. Good for you. Rock on!!! :-)

Jen in Budapest said...

Well, Kellye, I'm just as guilty. I think it's easy to do. I agree with Wes. You'll trim the excess and find the balance!

Traffic jams are the WORST. I got off the bus today one stop earlier and walked...got to the destination atleast a few minutes before the bus b/c of a traffic jam.

BreeWee said...

Holly cow I feel pooped just reading the 100 plates you balance! You are such a source of encouragement that when I feel pooped maybe I can take on one more thing like you do!

I can hardly wait for you both to get to Hawaii for Honu! You deserve it Kelley... a little tiny break with the hubby and without the 100 plates!

Your attitude to be GREAT at all 100 plates is amazing too... cheers to being a super woman!

kerrie said...

wow, i can totally relate to that!! i almost took this "part time" job last week which in reality added up to alot more hours than what i was prepared to give so, as much as it pained me, i said no. i think it comes down to setting personal boundaries and saying no and focusing on what is important to you. i know that i can't be a good mom when i am doing too much and devoting my energy elsewhere so i always try to reevaluate what i am doing every couple of months to make sure it is truly working out. so after all this babble, good for you for having the courage to focus on fewer things :)

Anonymous said...

Kellye, THAT Is great...I think it is a wise choice...I think us TYPE-A people think we can excel at everything - and we can't for all that long!!! So, this is great to hear! I have been having the SAME thoughts and I feel like I say NO all the time! It is the kids' stuff that is SOOOOO hard - but a priority nonetheless! Jen H. :)

Jen said...

Congratulations on your decision! It is a huge step to SAY that you are going to step back and take more time for yourself and the fam...actually doing it will the easy part. Best of luck in Hawaii!

Kevin said...

It can be so hard some time balancing everything. I work full time, communting an hour each way, plus go to school and am just starting to train for my first 70.3. Balancing all that plus spending time with my wife can be really hard.

Marit C-L said...

For the record, I think that you're amazing! Incredible, talented, driven, passionate, and very dedicated to those around you. But it makes me SO HAPPY to read that you're cutting back a tad on your already super busy schedule. Nice job on that one! Good luck in Hawaii - you will do GREAT!

Mira (Ivanovich) Lelovic said...

Oh, I am so with you. Now that I'm home and off from school and clinicals I am realizing how crazy my life is and how much I miss being home! One day at a time, you'll get through it and you'll be enjoying summer soon. It's easier to look at the smaller picture than the whole thing (kind of like an Ironman!). Hang in there!