? ??????????????Glacier Lake? ????? ?? ???Rating: 4.0 (1 Rating)??1162 Grabs Today. 2040 Total Grabs. ????
??Preview?? | ??Get the Code?? ?? ????????????????????? ??????Halloween Jack? ????? ?? ???Rating: 4.0 (3 Ratings)??297 Grabs Today. 1761 Total Grabs. ??????Preview?? | ??Get the Co BLOGGER TEMPLATES - TWITTER BACKGROUNDS ?

Monday, July 7, 2008

"Stupid is as Stupid Does!"

That would be me!!

Issue #4562... I think I may be developing Plantars... :(

After many illnesses this year, all my SI issues, shin splints, stress fractures, you name it... now my freaking heels hurt!

My feet started bothering me a couple of weeks back at Six Flags of all places! Whose feet don't hurt after a long day at Six Flags?

I just figured I'd been on them too much, and left it at that.

Well they've kind of slowly started to bother me a little here and a little there. I'm not sure if it was the long car ride over here or what, but now they're suddenly achy and sore. My long run yesterday... didn't happen. I even tried to do an elliptical machine last night instead, but it made my back hurt!!

What's the first thing you think about when your feet are hurting?...Your shoes! I got to thinking about my very favorite shoes I wear all of the time... my zoot recovery slippers. They have always been SOOO comfortable, and I wear them everywhere. However, it suddenly occurred to me that these things probably have a shelf life like that of running shoes. So I've been wearing these shoes seriously non-stop almost for 4 months. I've walked all over Disney, Hawaii, etc. in these suckers. Didn't even occur to me that I may need to replace those things until it's almost too late! :) Then my running shoes... yeah... it's been awhile for those too!

So after just swimming today, advil, ice, ice, and more ice, and this amazing foot massager thing that Kellie has... I'm trying to stay off of it as much as possible today and let it heal! I went and got a new pair of Nike Flip-flops to wear around the house for some extra support. Am going to get a new pair of running shoes tonight. And ordered a new pair of zoot slippers that I won't wear for near as long this time around! :)

If you have any secrets... please share! Thanks everyone!!

13 comments:

Wes said...

Paul has been battling heel issues as well. For him it was an imbalance in the muscles on one side of his body. You can dig back through his blog a bit and see what he went through to come up with a solution, if you got the time :-)

BeachRunner said...

You are on the right track with rest, ice, cross training, and new kicks. Flip flops are the worst things to wear and the shoes you wear when you AREN'T running are just as important as what you wear to run. You might want to consider a more cushiony running shoe that is designed to absorb shock. I would also buy an extra pair of cushiony running shoes and wear those when you arent training. Hope you feel better soon.

Pedergraham said...

Kellye:
I've heard from my coach and her sister that wearing higher heeled shoes (not like the pointy types with a dress), but running shoes and clog-type things that are taller in the back than the front can help.
Do you have orthotics? Could it be time to replace them?
Keeping my fingers crossed that this passes really quickly!!!

TriBunny said...

Hey girl be gentle with yourself. Smart move replacing the worn gear. Rest up and and heal up fast...Who's gonna pull my big fat butt in the next team time trial if you're all injured ;)

Mira (Ivanovich) Lelovic said...

I have PF in my right foot often (like right now). I bought these velcro arch straps that have a built in arch support, they really help. Let me know if want more info on them. Hang in there, it'll get better! Keep stretching and icing! Have you freezed a water bottle yet?

Danielle said...

I LOVE the strassburg sock! I got some early plantar's too and this sock nipped it right away! I continue using it for recovery after I haev run hill repeats because it works so much better on my calves than my compression socks. Crocs also make special shoes with extra arch/heel support for plantars. I LOVE LOVE LOVE those too....I don't even mind their serious ugliness!

Paul said...

Hi Kellye,

I've been dealing with the same thing. I recently picked up the Trigger Point therapy kit for PF. basically rolling out the calf muscles near the heel makes the biggest difference. Painful at first but it solves the problem versus masking it with a cushy shoe. That only buys you a little time without resolving the cause.

Good luck!

rr said...

Oh no.. rest and get that healed up fast Kellye!!! Good luck.

Missy said...

My husband battled that last year for a couple of months. The two things that really worked for him were a special sock he wore at night that sort of stretched his calf as he slept, and a frozen water bottle that he rolled under his foot every night for 15 minutes at a time. Hang in there it does get better!

Anonymous said...

Yes, my new Asics running shoes are also my favorite for their comfort & moisture-wicking properties.

Ryan said...

I agree with the Trigger Point rollers on the mid calf.

OUCH!!!!

But very effective.

Good luck and healing thoughts.

BreeWee said...

Rest it, ice, lift it up, rub it, tiger balm it, love it up, massage it up, epson salt bath it up too, new shoes, never walk in the shoes you run in (you have different gaits), OH MAN!

Hope you make it through this little bump without anything too serious Kel! BEST to you with the recovery... DARN IT!

Marit C-L said...

Hang in there! There's nothing else I can say, because everyone has said it. But I'm sending you good vibes!!! STRETCH! And the TP massage ball... and.... well - you know. :)