? ??????????????Glacier Lake? ????? ?? ???Rating: 4.0 (1 Rating)??1162 Grabs Today. 2040 Total Grabs. ????
??Preview?? | ??Get the Code?? ?? ????????????????????? ??????Halloween Jack? ????? ?? ???Rating: 4.0 (3 Ratings)??297 Grabs Today. 1761 Total Grabs. ??????Preview?? | ??Get the Co BLOGGER TEMPLATES - TWITTER BACKGROUNDS ?

Thursday, November 15, 2007

Recovery: Essential But it Sucks!

I'm almost 2 weeks out from my Ironman race, and my foot is feeling MUCH better! I'm getting around the house pretty well without wearing that gigantic boot and without it swelling. I should be out of the boot all together by this coming Monday. That means I have this weekend to find all of my left shoes :)

Everything that you read involving running, cycling, or triathlon and many other sports puts great emphasis on recovery. Any coach that I've ever heard anything about/dealt with builds all programs around it. Whether your recovering daily through naps, taking a recovery week throughout your training or recovering during your off-season, it's a must to be incorporated into all programs. Every body needs rest as an opportunity to rebuild after the training and suffering we put it through. It is a well-known fact that strength is gained through recovery rather than the exercise itself.

I get it. I understand it. I make it a priority. But that doesn't take away from the fact that I hate it! Actually, a lot of people I know talk about how "rough" recovery time can be. I know it may sound silly, but when you take a body that is accustomed to roughly 20 hours a week of training and then bring it to almost a halt, it can be disturbing :)

Exercise is a HUGE stress reliever for me. I use it to mentally recover and let out some steam. So all during this training season, I dreaded recovery weeks to a certain extent. I knew I'd be grumpy, MORE tired, stressed and even kind of sore as my body absorbed all of the training and rebuilt to be stronger the next go-round.

Well, I'm less than 2 weeks into my big recovery of the season in which I've barely exercised. It hasn't helped that my foot has been injured, and I haven't been able to run, my main physical/mental release. You try to maintain a good attitude. I'm catching up on my magazines, time with my family, and "Kellye" time. But my body is still achy when I wake up in the morning, I'm exhausted, and I'm kind of on edge.

Again, I know that my body needs it, and I'm trying to relax and let it do it's thing so I'll be ready for 2008. Once I can run again in a couple of weeks, things should be looking a little brighter :) In the meantime, if you call me during the day and I'm sound asleep or I snap at you for absolutely nothing...I apologize in advance!!!

Until next time!
K :)

1 comments:

adam mills said...

I know what you mean. I've been in a state of recovery for about 10 years now. When my body is done healing, I'm going to be tough as freaking nails. Rocky also knows that strength is gained during rest. That's why he sleeps 22 hours a day. I'm pretty confident that he could kick a locomotive's ass....