? ??????????????Glacier Lake? ????? ?? ???Rating: 4.0 (1 Rating)??1162 Grabs Today. 2040 Total Grabs. ????
??Preview?? | ??Get the Code?? ?? ????????????????????? ??????Halloween Jack? ????? ?? ???Rating: 4.0 (3 Ratings)??297 Grabs Today. 1761 Total Grabs. ??????Preview?? | ??Get the Co BLOGGER TEMPLATES - TWITTER BACKGROUNDS ?

Thursday, November 20, 2008

The Voices of a Sugar Addiction

Most people have something... Something that for whatever reason they have a hard time controlling. Maybe some of it is hereditary. Maybe it's part of your personality. Or just how you grew up. Who knows?? But whatever it may be... I know a lot of people who's situation plays out something like this... And for me, I'm addicted to Sugar/Junk Food!

Random Monday:
Confident Self: "I feel great today! Life is good, and I'm in control!"
Sugar Addiction: "Nice and quiet..."

X Amount of time goes by with life in check!

Insert small temptations of a cookie, cupcake, chocolate, french fries, etc...
Confident Self: "Ah... I'm not really feeling the need today. I will stay strong!"
Sugar Addiction: "We've been really good. Are you sure?"
Confident Self: "Yep. And I feel great for staying on top!"

More time goes by:
Insert more small temptations
Confident Self: "I have been good. I deserve this!"
Sugar Addiction: "FEED ME!"

*With Fudge!!

More time goes by:
Insert a bad day. Hormones, Fight with your husband, Kids driving you crazy, etc...
Insert small temptation
Confident Self: "I'm not feeling well today."
Addiction: "And you know what... we deserve a treat. I mean, come on... You've had a crappy day, so let's make it a little better!"
*Yum... McDonalds!!

Insert Guilt: Because generally the treat never makes up for your crappy day!
Addiction: Well... you've blown it! Might as well make it worth your while. Let's just go hog-wild while we have the chance!

More guilt...

More crap...

*Hot Wings are a must during those weak moments! :)

Before you know it... you're sucked back in!!

Finally you reach that point where you've had enough!
Confident Self: "What are you doing?? Get it together!
Sugar Addiction: "No... MORE, MORE!! :)"

A day or two goes by and you're doing good!

Oops... another crappy day. Gotta get it together
A good morning, crap... screwed up at lunch, so dinner is down the tube too!

Finally... something MUST change to end it! COLD TURKEY!!

Back on track... Life is good!

And the cycle continues....

I think other addictions possibly play out in similar manners. And though cigarettes and alcohol type of addictions have some obvious major life threatening side effects, food can be as dangerous. Obesity is a major problem as well is eating disorders. Both carry life threatening issues and cause people very much physical and emotional pain. And for whatever reason, I know that as a woman and as an athlete, I do struggle with food.

Unfortunately, I wasn't born with this innate craving for fruit and veggies. I love my sweets and junk and if it gets too much into my system, I lose all control over it! How many of you have eaten the entire box of cookies just to get the box out of the house?? Ok... I'll eat it now, and start fresh tomorrow! It's always tomorrow! :)
Though I don't have an eating disorder now and haven't for years, I think there's always that part of me hiding back there willing to come out at those inconvenient times. I speak openly about it because I feel that a lot of people out there struggle with eating control. See that's the one thing about self-medicating with junk food vs. alcohol and drugs. You can walk away from cigarettes and alcohol and never have the need to partake again. Food is a little different. Yeah, you can swear off all sugar and junk food for the rest of your life, but it can be kind of weird. I've been there and done that before and it doesn't go over well in the rest of our world.

So for me the key is trying to work through the problem. Find out what works to put you back on track and go with the plan. For me... it's 10 days cold turkey!! Yep. See, after repeating this cycle lord knows how many times, I've realized for me I can not go from on a Sugar-High back to moderation. Nope... the pendulum must swing from Sugar absorption over to a Zero-tolerance policy! Once the sugar has left the system, the cravings lessen, and I can go back to my here and there moments. But if I give myself even the smallest little opening before 10 days of my sugar high... I'll get sucked right back in! Hence... the fudge... yep. If you checked my blood now, I'd probably show levels that could not be normal for a healthy individual! :)
*See... We finished the fudge! The other batch goes to Gracie's school tomorrow thank goodness!

So I've realized this, and I'm back to my go-to plan of the 10 days! And trust me, I've fought this battle for awhile, so I'm sure I must revisit this plan again in the future. Most likely many times. But the key is that as long as I stick to my REAL love and goals... I can keep sugar from taking me down!

I hope that for the others of you that struggle with the junk food roller coaster, you may find some sense in this and find your own go-to plan! The off season is here, swept in with the holiday season, and the junk food is out there just calling our names!! BEWARE! Remember... a little is fine, but know your limits! :)

6 comments:

rr said...

I am with you! It's all or nothing for me too.. good luck!

BreeWee said...

Kel, ALL the best to you... sounds like you at least have a clue about what the deal is, so you can know where to start.

YOU CAN DO IT!

kerrie said...

i'm the same way - a total sugar addict! and yeah, it's bad...let me know how it's going. i don't crave the other stuff and don't need mcdonald's or other crap, just SUGAR. i have to agree though, i think it is an all of nothing thing, at least at first!

Jennifer Harrison said...

Kellye:
We all have our vices, for sure! You couldn't pay me $ to eat Mcdonalds or drink pop or other junk...but chocolate...I would not give it up - but I don't need it everyday and the GOOD news is that as I get older I like DARKER and darker chocolate (dipped in PB, haha!). Good luck....! Jen H.

Anonymous said...

My method is that I don't even try to fight it....3 Dr.Peppers in a day, no problem..eat an entire box of Swiss Cake Rolls, done...finish off the evening with and entire container of Ben and Jerry's...you betcha.

(Isn't life easier when you just GIVE IN!!!)

*Disclaimer-I am a bad influence, because I have the metabolism of a hummingbird on crack I can consume 10,000 calories a day an never gain weight (actually if I am training for an Ironman I lose weight). Hang out with me at your own risk! :)

Kevin said...

My biggest problem is when I am at a function and they are right out there in front of me. I cant say no