? ??????????????Glacier Lake? ????? ?? ???Rating: 4.0 (1 Rating)??1162 Grabs Today. 2040 Total Grabs. ????
??Preview?? | ??Get the Code?? ?? ????????????????????? ??????Halloween Jack? ????? ?? ???Rating: 4.0 (3 Ratings)??297 Grabs Today. 1761 Total Grabs. ??????Preview?? | ??Get the Co BLOGGER TEMPLATES - TWITTER BACKGROUNDS ?

Monday, August 25, 2008

The CRAZY Plan!!

What's been on my mind lately?? Ironman 2009!


With a lump of Ironman's happening back to back, you've got to be prepared!

The world has gone Ironman crazy, and though I think that's great, slots are becoming harder and harder to come by!

I knew in June I was ready to sign up for another. I started chatting with my team mate and friend, Amy, on her plans, and we were trying to plan a race together if possible so that we could train together. Which of course is always ideal to have an Ironman pal!

CDA came and went. I've heard wonderful things about CDA, but just wasn't ready to push the GO button on that one. It's kind of a tough one from the perspective that a lot of your volume training is done during some of the coldest months. I know... I know... Jen and my northern counterparts are laughing at me, but I have thin blood! :)

So we considered Lake Placid. Ironman USA! Tough race in a great venue, but knew I'd have to go up there to sign up. I was in Alb., NM that weekend already, so that was out. DID consider for a brief moment about changing my flight from New Mexico and heading to Lake Placid before coming home to Atlanta, but Adam looked at me like I was on crack, so that CRAZY plan quickly turned into ridiculous and no LP for me in 2009!

So I was pretty much settled on Louisville! I've heard great things about it. It's a new and exciting race! It's not TOO far from here in which we could drive up. But if you don't already know this, they are NOT doing on-site registration for this event. It's online only. Plus, Amy and I were going back and forth on which would be better... Louisville or Wisconsin??

Both have pros and cons. Both have different things we were looking for.....

After a lot of discussion, and research! (Yes, I am a total tri-geek looking up the average weather for each city, the elevation maps for each course, plane ticket prices, etc! :)... I made a decision, sent Amy an email after running it by Adam of course, and crossed my fingers that she'd be on board!!

The CRAZY Plan...

Let Louisville go for 2009 and go for Wisconsin!! To ensure that we get a spot, DRIVE, yes drive, up to Wisconsin the weekend of the race! Leave on Saturday, Sept. 6th and travel via car the whole 13 hours up to the state of CHEESE! Spend Sunday watching the race, cheering on the athletes, and totally sucking up the entire Ironman race vibe! Check out the course some too! Monday morning, go get our IM WI 2009 spots and then turn around and drive back home!

I hit send and waited... wondering, ok is this woman going to think I've lost my marbles! But I was in LOVE with the plan! Spontaneous road trips are the BEST! Girls weekend jamming out in the car and enjoying an Ironman from a spectator perspective where we can live it up a little sounded like so much fun to me! And as I was trying to decide what plan B would be if she didn't like the idea of spending 26+ hours in the car with me over the course of 3 days... she is IN!!

We rode together on Saturday and actually decided to begin our journey on Friday afternoon. Split the trip up there in 1/2 so that we have more time on Sat. to actually see some of the course, and as I'd planned it, the beauty of driving means bikes are definitely coming with!

So Ironman Wisconsin 2009 here we come!!

I'm actually racing this weekend and then we'll head up the next. To all of you out there racing Louisville... Eileen, Katie, Danielle, and I think maybe Bree (that amazing woman!), I hope you guys have your BEST race!

And Wisconsin get ready! Amy and I are out to party it up! Coach Jen is going to be there and who knows... we might even stay out past midnight! ;)

Cheers!
K

10 comments:

kerrie said...

yes, that does sound like a crazy plan! i guess the IM bug has claimed yet another victim :). At least you'll have lots of time to get ready!!!

Jen said...

That sounds like a great weekend! Watch out Wisconsin :)

Wes said...

Driving for 13 hours to sign up for Ironman is just crazy. Beyond Ironman crazy :-) Luv it!!

Jerome Harrison said...

Oh boy, I smell trouble! Hee hee...Yep, I am 2 hours (a little less) ON THE WAY to IM WI, so you can stop by...I WILL be up in Madison on Sunday for the race cheering for everyone - and right now I will have the kids in tow as Jerome will be racing IM UK the same day...but, we'll see if I can get g-ma to come or keep the kids!! Fun! Jen H. :)

Beth said...

Awesome Kellye!!! How fun!!! Wisconsin will be great and how nice that you have a partner in crime. Best of luck racing this weekend and of course have a great trip up next weekend! Can't wait to hear about it!

Steve Stenzel said...

YEAH WI!!! Love it!! I mean, except for that hilly bike course. But you'll love it too!!!

Mel said...

What a party animal you are ;0) I am excited for you...now yOu have something to aim for and great that you have a partner in crime with you...Have fun!!!

Danielle said...

Wow...that plan sounds totally insane (but doing an IM is too!) but I am sure that you will have fun!

Mira (Ivanovich) Lelovic said...

Wow, that is totally crazy! Glad I don't plan on doing another IM for a super long time (like when I have grandkids), b/c it sounds like the hardest part is just signing up!
You will LOVE Wisconsin! Madison is a beautiful city! Make sure you have some fried cheese curds. I didn't b/c I was too afraid to eat something new "race weekend", but I'm told it's the best!
I wish you were coming to Louisville instead to cheer!

Jennifer Cunnane said...

Sounds like a lot of fun! Road trips are great especially if you can find someone else who like to chat a lot. Think IM wisconsin is a great idea - I have heard the course support is among the best!