? ??????????????Glacier Lake? ????? ?? ???Rating: 4.0 (1 Rating)??1162 Grabs Today. 2040 Total Grabs. ????
??Preview?? | ??Get the Code?? ?? ????????????????????? ??????Halloween Jack? ????? ?? ???Rating: 4.0 (3 Ratings)??297 Grabs Today. 1761 Total Grabs. ??????Preview?? | ??Get the Co BLOGGER TEMPLATES - TWITTER BACKGROUNDS ?

Thursday, December 11, 2008

Elvis on the Shelf!

It is definitely that time of year! Baking Christmas goodies, parties, shopping, seeing Santa... we're BUSY!

Well yesterday I was listening to the radio as I took Gracie to school and heard about "Elf on the Shelf." I honestly had never heard of it before. We have your typical Christmas holiday, but this was a new one for me!

Apparently what it is is a Magical Elf is sent to your house from Santa himself. He comes with a cute book that explains all about his purpose at your house, that being that he is there to watch over you each day leading up to Christmas and report back to Santa each night as you sleep on whether or not you were good or bad that day!

Considering that Gracie was placed in time-out twice yesterday at school for various acts of indiscretion, I thought this might work out perfectly at our household!

So last night as we were getting ready for bed, our Elf on the Shelf, Elvis appeared! We read all about him and promised him that we would be very good for Santa! Right as we were saying good night to Elvis, who was sitting on the Shelf in our hallway, Gracie began some of her usual tactics and was not listening to her Mom and Dad. We immediately reminded her that Elvis was listening and would be heading back to the North Pole as soon as she fell asleep to report to Santa on her behavior. Well... things changed rather quickly! She even nonchalantly told me that I could have one of her favorite baby dolls, Princess Beautiful, if I wanted. This pleasant exchanged just so happened to take place right in front of our Elf Elvis!

So apparently Elvis did depart to the North Pole last night as we discovered him in a new location in our home this morning! He is now sitting on our mantel. Ready and waiting to see all the goings on in the household! He even brought a little present back with him since they were so "good" yesterday. Elvis with Gracie's doll to keep him company!

You know... it's probably a very good thing that he isn't exactly real too! Because if he DID report to a man that decided on our Christmas outcome based on how nice we were, I'm not sure some of us would always get what they wanted! :)

So we look forward to our new Christmas friend. Discovering him in new places each morning all the way up until Christmas Eve! And the kids are so cute about him! They talk to him and "sell" themselves to him! Cooper told him he'd been on Blue at school 2 days last week for having "Excellent" behavior! Gracie is loaning him some of her dollies to hang out with him and keep him company! Hopefully, this will be just what we need to keep our behavior under control during this exciting time, and gives us something to look forward to each day as the Christmas build begins!

This is a big year at our house for Christmas. The Christmas legend has finally sunk in around here and we all understand that in just 14 days a magical man is coming to visit and bring us a bunch of toys that we asked for! Come to think of it... too bad Santa isn't really magical! I'm convinced I've been good this year! :)

Happy Holidays Everyone!

8 comments:

Jennifer Cunnane said...

I love the elvis on the shelf technique! I haven't done it, but many my friends rave about doing this with their kids. I agree about wild children this time of year as well, cannot figure out what has gotten into my kiddos lately as well. A LOT of timeouts and having their DS games taken away!

Michelle Simmons said...

Wow! That's an awesome idea! My little girl is only 6 weeks old so I doubt it'll work this year... ;) But I'll keep that in mind for the years to come!

TriBunny said...

Too funny Kellye, the other day when I was waiting for coffee I picked up the local East Cobber magazine & was reading an article about the "Elf on the Shelf." I thought it was such a cute idea. I think the authors (mom & daughter) are from here. Anyway, can't wait to hear more about the adventures of Gracie, Cooper & Elvis in the next 14 days or so. Please keep us posted.

Marit C-L said...

I LOVE IT!!!! Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha! That's great! Now if Elvis would only work on kitties... :)

Wes said...

LOL... Use psychological warfare on the rug rats!!! Holiday mode is in full swing!! I love it. :-)

Jennifer Harrison said...

My kids are SOOOO freaked out by the THOUGHT of Santa NOT coming to their house, they are SOOO good...and they count down the days...make 1000 lists....call Santa....and we buy for other kids (less needy) and the WHOLE package at this time of the year. MY FAVORITE time of the year to be a mom, by far. The magic is something we can never create like the way they believe in Santa clause. I love it! Cute elf!

Eileen Swanson said...

Super cute idea!! Christmas is almost here, crazy how fast it's coming up.....ENJOY the great times with your fam ;-)

Mel said...

I have that same elf...actually I did a write up on it last Christmas on my blog...I love it and every year we sit down with Hot choc and read the story...the kids love looking for his new hiding spot everyday...cute pics:)